46.

Alex.

"Who??"

"Bolik," then as if it just clicked that I had no idea who he was talking about, he expanded, "He's this man who was our father's closest friends but Anaya never really liked him. Then she told me that after our father's funeral, he had tried something with her. She'd had to attack him to escape and that's when she came here. He must have come after her."

My blood was boiling more and more with each word he spoke. By the time he was done, I wanted Bolik's head on a stick.

"What does he want with her and how did he know she would come here that day?"

"That's the thing, I don't think he did. Looks like he was surveying the pack. That would mean he was planning to go in. I think he was planning to take her from the clinic but she just happened to come here, making his work a whole lot easier."

"Okay, at least now we know who took her."

Tim turned and for some reason, he was smiling, "We don't just know who took her, but we also know where she is. There's only one place Bolik could have taken her to."

I wanted to leave immediately but both Kyan and Tim insisted that we have a plan.

"The plan is to go there and get Anaya! That's the plan!"

Kyan rolled his eyes, "Be reasonable, Alex. We don't know what security this guy has in place, we don't know if he has weapons. We can't just go there without a plan. I know you want to get Anaya, we all do, but we have to do things properly or this could all go wrong."

He was right, so we returned to Kyan's home and started setting up a plan on how we would get Anaya home safely.

"I doubt he will have security," Tim was saying, "Bolik is a very do-it-himself man. He doesn't like to rely on anybody else but himself. He wouldn't want to have somebody else protecting him."

I nodded, "Okay, well that makes things easier for us. Will he be armed?"

"I have no idea."

"Do you know any reason why he might have taken Anaya? If we know his plans for her, we might be able to predict how he'll react if he feels cornered."

Tim shook his head, "I don't know. How he'll react?"

"Yeah, well if we get there and he's seen us coming or something, we have to be able to predict his reaction. Will he threaten to harm her if we come any closer? Will he abandon her and run? Will he try to make a deal where we let him go if he gives her to us? If he threatens to harm her, will he actually go through with it? Those are his possible reactions."

"We're not letting him go under any circumstance. This lunatic isn't getting a chance to harm anybody else," I growled.

"Agreed," said Tim.

So, a few hours later, we were headed to the cabin Anaya had grown up in. We decided to go in wolf form as a car could attract unwanted attention.

It was me, Tim, Kyan, and about seven other guards.

We couldn't travel at top speed because we needed to conserve our energy for whatever we would need to do to get Anaya when we got there. So, we travelled at a trot, sometimes jogging, sometimes walking, but never running.

Tim was leading the way as he was the only one who knew where the cabin was.

I wondered for the first time how life was for Anaya, growing up as a rogue. It must have been such a solitary life. I mean, I wasn't exactly allowed to be social when I was younger but I still had all my pack members around me and everything. Anaya, on the other hand, grew up in the middle of the forest, thinking her mother was dead, with just her father and brother.

She never even had friends her age. Yet, she didn't seem in any way bitter or angry. Sure, she didn't like pack life, but that was to be understood but she didn't seem to blame anyone for the way she had been forced to grow up.

Maybe she had never felt alone. I looked at Tim, ahead of us. It was obvious he loved his sister a lot and she felt the same way for him. I had never met their father obviously, but the stories I'd heard of him weren't that bad. Although Anaya didn't have as many people around her growing up as I did, the few people she did have, cared about her and her feelings a great deal more than the people around me had.

"How are we not there yet?" I mind-linked Kyan. I was beginning to get restless, I felt that we were wasting precious time. I would have like to pose the question to Tim but I couldn't mind-link him as he wasn't a member of our pack.

Kyan shrugged before replying, "They're rogues, they had to be isolated. We're probably close though."

We had travelled for bit longer before I looked back to see how the remaining guards were faring. They seemed to be doing fine so I continued walking. Then I looked again. They seemed fewer. I counted them. Then recounted. We were down one guard.

I mind-linked Kyan and told him and he too came back along with Tim, who had no idea what we were talking about. We shifted and explained what was happening to him. I instructed the rest of the guards to shift as well.

"Did he lose his way following us?" Tim asked.

"Or maybe he was taken and we didn't hear," a guard suggested.

We decided to retrace our steps. We hadn't gone far before we came across the missing guard. He was in his human form and tapping at a phone furiously.

"What are you doing?" I asked, causing him to jump and drop the phone.

"Hold him," I commanded the guards and two went forward and held him back while I picked up the dropped phone. The screen revealed multiple calls to the same number.

"Who are you trying to contact?"

The guard was shaking, "My- my- brother."

He was lying. Avoiding eye contact, heavy breathing.

I released my Alpha aura and he fell to his knees, gasping for breath and baring his neck.

I repeated the question.

"I don't know his name, Alpha. The man- the man- he asked me for information on the girl. I told his she was in the clinic. H- He took her. As- asked me to tell him if we found out about him and were com- coming for the girl."

My wolf was taking control. I was half shifted, my fangs extended.

Kyan took over, "Have you told him we're coming?"

The guard was shaking, not answering.

"Have you told him w-"

Kyan was interrupted by a sickly snap and the crashing of the guard's body to the ground.

I wondered what had happened then I realised it was me. I had snapped his neck and killed him.

I shouldn't have done that.

He was a traitor.

But we hadn't gotten our answer.

Bolik could be expecting us.

Fuck.