2.

Anaya.

It was sundown when we reached the East River, just on the outskirts of the White Moon pack.

Each of us had our pre-raid rituals which we performed now. Dad, Bolik, and Luther brought out a bottle of cheap rum and started downing it. I said it made them drunk, they said it made them see clearer. I don't know how much clearer they could hope to see since they were already wolves but to each their own.

Eric liked to bring out a cigar and smoke it quietly, probably imagining different scenarios where bloodshed would be allowed.

That was one of the only rules we had. Do not attack unless attacked. It was the rule that ticked Eric off the most. Unlike most other rogues out there, even though we hated pack wolves and everything they stood for, we did not harm them.

We just stole from them.

Tim, my brother, well I'm not quite sure what Tim's ritual was. He always just disappeared for about ten minutes and returned looking really determined.

Devon and Gabe were brothers. The only other related people in the group apart from my family. They were also the muscle of the group. All wolves were bigger than the average human but Devon and Gabe looked like they had a testosterone-filled milkshake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

We needed their muscles, not for punching but for carrying the sacks of food we stole and sometimes breaking down doors and other barriers that stood in between us and the food.

Sonya was a practising Catholic before she was thrown out of her pack. Before raids, she like to hum hymns to herself. She used to sing before but that almost got us caught once and she since settled for humming.

Me? My pre-raid ritual was to watch everyone do theirs. Being the youngest in the group, I was the last one to join and start going on raids. The first time they took me along, I was so fascinated with everything that I just watched and I guess it's my ritual now.

"40 minutes more," I announced. I was the time keeper. My mother's old watch was strapped to my wrist and it was my job to keep everyone updated on the time. Timing was critical on raids, extremely.

We watched the pack, each of us mentally going over and executing the plan. With a pack size of only 40, it was easy to get a lay of the land as there were only a few houses. The Alpha's house, our destination/target stood in the centre.

We watched as the guard played with his phone and flirted with some ladies. He was obviously there never being a threat.

The two guards on the night shift arrived and behaved in exactly the same manner, none of them taking their job seriously. This would be like taking candy from babies.

Babies who could transform into feral wolves with a mouthful of canines.

But babies nonetheless.

One guard guarded the front of the house while the other went to the back. The back was where we were headed.

"It's time."

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○○●○

The raid was quick and easy, as expected. The sun would have long risen and we would be long gone before they knew what had happened.

We arrived back at the cottage in the woods in the very early hours of the morning very tired, the adrenaline that had been doing us was now completely exhausted and all we wanted to do was sleep.

"Bullshit!" Luther exclaimed.

The fighting over the division of the loot was starting.

Tim's voice was next, "We have more than enough."

It was true, we had found a lot more than we had expected in White Moon.

Nobody seemed to care though. The bickering went on for a while until everything was divied up in a way that most of the group considered fair.

The sun still hadn't risen completely when people were about to start leaving.

Rogues don't do sleepovers.

"Everyone," my father moved to the center of the room, "A minute."

This was new. There was hardly ever any talking once everyone had gotten their share. We just went our separate ways.

Until the next raid.

We faced him, waiting to hear what he had to say.

"These raids are getting too easy. And we aren't getting a lot. We hit a jackpot with White Moon today with all they had stored up but we won't find a lot more small pack with that much storage. It might be more of a challenge, but we will get but bigger rewards. We're hitting the Darkhide Hounds next."

There was a collective intake of breath around the room.

"Vance, have you gone mad?" Bolik was usually on my father's side but then I was wondering the same thing.

Had my father lost his mind? The Darkhide Hounds was one of the biggest packs in North America. Not only were they strong and possibly octupled the White Moon in number,

They were Lycans.

"They are the closest big pack to us and we'll be hitting while they're having a celebration of some sort so they will be distracted. Quick in and out an-"

Sonya cut him off, "And we'll be dead before we're 'out'. We can't raid a Lycan pack Vance! They'll have us as snacks and use our bones as toothpicks!"

My father growled, his claws and fangs extending, "I said we are raiding the Darkhide Hounds next. You are all free wolves, nobody has been forced to go on raids before but obviously, do not expect a share when we return. We are hitting them tonight and that's final!"

"Tonight? Papa, you can't be serious," he ignored me, stalking out of the room.

We cast each other wary looks and soon people started leaving.

My father has gone mad

There was a chorus in my head as I crawled into bed. I wondered which, if any, of the group would return for the raid.

Which, if any, of the group would return for a suicide mission.