14.

Alex.

"What the hell were you thinking coming out?" I yelled at the girl after my mother had left, leaving her threat hanging in the air. .

My mother always got her way, it was something my father had learned, something I had learned, something the pack members had learnt.

Nobody went against Luna Elena. Or more accurately, nobody went against Luna Elena and survived.

The dark-haired girl in front of me at least had the decency to look contrite, "I was hungry."

I sighed. Fair enough, she hadn't eaten in almost over 24 hours.

"Come on," I led the way to the kitchen, a room I barely spent any time in.

She followed behind me and I was surprised at how well she was able to keep up with me despite me walking quite fast. It was the Alpha in me, even my mother usually had to tell me to slow down when we walked together.

"How are you able to walk about so comfortably with your ribs?" her injury, combined with her non-Lycan blood ought to slow her down considerably.

I saw her shrug out of the corner of my eye, "I don't know, I took a nap and woke up feeling a lot better."

Weird.

We entered the kitchen and it was spotless, as it always was the few times I'd ventured in here.

I swept my arm around, "Go wild."

She nodded and I left her alone. I needed to prepare for whatever my mother was going to do because I was certain she was going to do something.

I mind-linked Luke on the way to my study and he said he would come by once he finished training.

I poured my usual glass of whisky and sat in my chair. Things were getting complicated around here. I had a mate I totally planned to reject and then I marked her and the mark was what was complicating everything. The point of marking your mate was so that you could feel connected to them. It's what made mates so sacred, one person who knows everything about you and still completely adores you- you're bonded for life.

I couldn't help but feel attracted to the girl and that was something I couldn't blame totally on my wolf. Just the way she looked in my clothes made me want to grab her but I had enough common sense not to.

I heard a peal of laughter and curious as to what was making her laugh, I went back to the kitchen. She was sitting at the kitchen island eating a bowl of what looked like mac and cheese and beside her was Jared, my gardener who was obviously the cause of her laughter.

They both sobered up when I entered the room and Jared jumped to his feet, "Good evening Alpha."

The girl didn't look at me at all which irked me.

"Found some food?" I asked, wanting her to talk to me.

"Yeah, Jared made some for me," she smiled at him and I could feel her happiness through the bond. I realised with a jolt that she actually liked this boy.

Jealousy flared up in me, I hated it. I never got jealous.

I narrowed my eyes at him, "What happened earlier?"

I was asking about the fact that before I left the house, I had instructed them to make sure the girl got some food to eat and then I returned to find she hadn't eaten, but his eyes widened and he looked rapidly between the girl and me.

"I'm so sorry, Alpha. I didn't mean to see her without clothes. I was looking for her and then she walked out. I turned around immediately," he gabled but I had only heard one part of his rant before my ears started ringing.

"He didn't know!" the girl whispered furiously at him.

"What the hell are you talking about?!" I roared. I could feel myself losing control of my wolf.

"Alex! Alex! It was nothing I swear. Just an accident," I could hear her voice but my vision was going red.

Then just when I felt I was going to lose control completely, I felt her hands on my chest. I deflated like a balloon, my wolf completely retreating at the touch of our mate.

My vision cleared and I could focus on her face close to mine.

"Please, don't hurt him," she pleaded.

"Get out," I directed at him and he immediately obeyed.

After he left, she took her hands off and folded them, "I don't like that at all, Alex. What sort of behaviour was that?"

My eyes widened, "Are you kidding me?! He saw you naked! He's extremely lucky he's alive right now."

Honestly, I'd done worse for lesser offences.

"So? So what if he did?"

I could feel my eyes darken, "You're my mate."

"See, that's where you're wrong! I'm not your mate. I thought we understood each other then you marked me," her voice softened, "Alex, I'm never going to accept you, I'm sorry. You might have complicated things with the mark but I can't do this. "

Then, leaving me there, she walked away. I heard her enter her room and shut the door.

I should be happy, I really should. We were on the same page. We both knew this couldn't work out.

Then why did her words hurt so much?

"What's up?" Luke walked into the kitchen, "Why did you want to see me so urgently?"

I quickly regained my composure and explained to him what had happened.

"I think she's going to do something," I finished.

"It's your mother. Of course, she's going to do something. But," he looked at me, "Why are you so worried? You said you were going to reject the rogue anyway. So, why does it matter that your mum doesn't approve? Or why are you so worried that she'll do something?"

"I don't know," I sighed, "You're probably right though. Thanks man."

The next morning, loud knocking woke me up. What the hell was so important that it couldn't wait until later?

Getting up from the couch in my study, I made my way to the front door.

I opened it to reveal my mother, looking awfully awake for somebody who didn't let anybody mess with her beauty sleep. Beside her was Selene. And beside her were suitcases.

My mum smiled mischievously and trilled, "Look who showed up!"

Ooooooo. Drama drama.