35.

Alex.

"What do we have?" I ask, even though I know the answer.

"Nothing."

It had been a few days since everything happened. It had also been a few days since I'd seen my mate move in any way.

I had kept myself distracted by working on finding the bastard who did this to her but that was quickly becoming a futile endeavour. The guy was a Rogue and we didn't have a description of him.

It was like looking for a needle in a non-existent haystack. Or something like that.

"Let's search the eastern forests again."

Kyan sighed, "Our guys have searched there twice."

"Well have them search again!"

I knew I was being unreasonable. It was hard not to be.

My mate was unconscious and somebody needed to be paying for that.

I got to my house to find my mother waiting for me outside. I'd been wondering when she'd make her appearance.

"Long time, no see, mother. All is well?" I try to keep all traces of sarcasm out of my voice.

"Have you lost your mind?"

I continue inside and she follows me, "Me? I don't think so. I really do think I'm still in possession of it. Still used it this morning, I believe."

"Don't be smart with me. You brought one rogue in to this pack and under this roof, thereby dishonouring all the past alphas who lived here. However, I let that slide. T-"

"You didn't 'let that slide' mother. In your usual passive-aggressive way, you went and brought Selene to stay under said roof as well."

She ignored me, "Then the other rogue, who you should have killed ages ago, is suddenly released and declared a free man! Now both rogues are in the pack's clinic, using up the pack's resources like we are the bloody Red Cross. That is why I ask, have you lost your damn mind?"

"I answered your question already. I don't lose things."

"Listen, I am your mother, and I am the Luna of this pack. You will listen to me."

"That you're my mother is debatable but I'll accept it I guess. But the Luna of this pack is lying in the clinic unconscious."

Her head swung back as if I had physically slapped her, "What did you say? Over my dead body, Alexander."

I shrugged, she was talking too much and taking up too much of my time.

"Alpha," a mindlink came through, "The girl is awake."

I didn't even let him complete his sentence before I was bolting out of the house and to the clinic.

When I got to Anaya, she was being attended to by the doctor and two nurses.

"Hey, I'm sorry I'm late."

"You're right on time, Alpha," the doctor assured.

"Anaya, how are you? How do you feel? I'm so sorry. Very very sorry."

Her lips parted as though to speak but the doctor shook his head, "It's not advisable for her to strain her neck muscles right now so it's best if she doesn't speak."

Seated by her bedside my mind was a roller coaster and I hardly noticed when day gave way to night. Where on earth was the rogue who had caused all this? Was he hovering around the pack, or had he returned where ever he came from? I wanted to grill her about him. Damn it, she was not to be disturbed. Being a rogue herself was it someone she knew? Why did he try to kill my mate? I knew for sure that she he had to have a motive. I fell into a fitful sleep sometime after midnight.

I woke up to the warmth of bright ray of sunlight washing over my face. Jerking, I jumped up and peered into Anaya's sleeping face. She looked paler than ever in a sleep that sent arrows of terror through my heart. Had she died I wondered, while I slept. I bent over her, holding my head to her heart to hear for a beat but just then, her brown eyes flicked open, clear as honey, calm, she had the most beautiful eyes I had ever beheld.

I jerked my head back, embarrassed that I had been caught.

"Do you want some water?" I asked to inject some sort of normalcy into the situation and she nodded.

There was a jug of water and a paper cup beside the bed. So, I poured some water into the cup and stuck a straw in it to make it easier for her to drink.

I held it up to her mouth as she sipped until the cup was empty.

"Tim will be ecstatic to see you. His leg has healed completely and he's doing fine."

She smiled and nodded.

"I'm beyond ecstatic to see you awake," I whispered, smoothing her hair back.

Her expression was unreadable at that and I decided it was time to leave. I had a meeting with Kyan in a few hours anyway.

"I'll be back to check on you. I have a meeting I have to get to."

What was wrong with me I wondered as I found my way home. This girl had told me that she did not want me any more, and as though the universe had sanctioned her declarations, a thieving murderer had snatched off the portion of her neck that bore my mark. What claim did I have to her in the circumstances? There was not a question in my doubting heart, this girl was my mate, my forever.

Half an hour later I walked into the familiar gardens of my house. The bustle of the servants was reassuring, given that I had been away since the day before.

I observed with consternation a stack of suitcases piled in front of the wrought iron front doors. Jamie, the butler emerged from the wide open doors, picking up two of the suitcases, before he noticed me.

"What is going on here?"

My mother's excited tones floated out to meet me.

"Oh there you are, darling. Selene's parents sent her wedding trousseau ahead of them. They'll be arriving in few days. Come, come see"

I peered wide eyed into the lobby at a grinning Selene. Her eyes shone with merriment and mischief.

"What are you going about now, mother?" I wasn't in the mood for her drama.

"Well, we finally picked a date for the wedding!"

"What wedding? Who is getting married?"

"You and Selene of course. In three days time!"