38.

Note: this is the second part of a double update. Read chapter 37 first if you haven't.

Bolik.

I lay on the raggedy couch examining the bracelet and smiling. My plan was coming together perfectly.

I think about all the money I had to pay to get the bracelet and my smile is replaced with a scowl. Add that to the list of reasons why the girl was going to pay.

I stumbled into the small kitchen to find some beer. I pause as I'm rummaging through and wonder for the millionth time, what if she's dead?

When that thief had told me he had killed her, I had doubted it because what the idiot didn't know, what nobody knew, not even the girl herself, was that she had royal blood. And those royals don't die easily with their bloody fast healing.

But what he said he'd gotten her in the woods, what if she had died before any help had been able to come to her?

But then, I'd done my research and asked the right questions of the right people and found out she was with the Darkhide Hounds but as at the time I spoke to them, her condition was very critical.

So what if she's dead?

I shrug it off and pop open the top of the only bottle I found. I make a mental note to get some more, I could survive being out of a lot of things but not beer.

Truth was, if she was dead, then this was a suicide mission.

But what did I have to lose?

I have the chance to have EVERYTHING, I'm not going to pass it up.

Luther knocks on the door and walks in without waiting for an answer. Luther and I had fought a bit when I moved into Vance's cabin. He felt it was wrong and that I was dishonouring their spirits. But hell I needed a place to stay and this place was far nicer than the dump I was at before.

He scrunches up his nose, "Beer? It's barely noon, Bolik."

I roll my eyes and resist the urge to swear at him. I hated his constant holier-than-thou attitude. The man was a rogue, he ought to let go of some manners. Vance had been the funner one of our groups. The one whose energy level matched mine.

"What do you want?"

He just shows up sometimes just to 'check up on me'. I wonder sometimes, does he not have a life of his own? For quite a few of the members of the group. the raids were their lives. I vaguely wondered what they did now. I did not give a shit. But I was curious.

Sonya especially. She had been furious when she had returned and found me here without the girl. I told her that the girl had decided to leave -the same thing I had told Luther- but she hadn't believed me. She called me vile and inhuman and left after throwing things at me.

Sonya was always fiery and I liked that. I didn't like boring girls. But Sonya had too many morals. I didn't like that.

"To check up on you, how are you?" Luther asks now.

I roll my eyes and take a swig of beer, "Peachy."

I see that he eyes the bracelet and I curse myself for leaving it out in the open.

"Isn't that Anaya's bracelet?"

"What if it is?" I could lie, but we were all there when Vance was fussing about what to get his girl.

"Where did you get it from?"

"Found it"

He didn't say anything more.

I swigged my beer.

I really ought to try to get a fridge in here because warm beer was shit. But then, if all went well, I wouldn't be here for much longer.

"Are you going to leave?" I eventually snap at Luther. His presence annoys me because all he does is stand there and pity me. Like I'm some sad little creature he looks after. But he'll see, they'll all see.

"Well, I should," he looks outside and finally heads to the door, "Remember Vance's rules, Bolik. We don't harm people."

He pushes the door open and leaves.

"Vance is dead, you psychopath, dead!" I yell after him. He was infuriating.

However, I push him to the back of my mind remembering that I have work to get to.

I start preparing the things I will need for my journey, adrenaline rushing through me. The plan was finally about to begin. I pack a small bag. I won't be able to travel in my wolf form so I need to take the truck.

When I'm sure I have all I need, I clean around the cabin and get things prepared in case I have a guest later.

Then, I lock the door and get into the truck. I sit in the driver's seat for a few minutes, trying to calm myself down, I had unconsciously started breathing fast and my heart was racing. This plan was everything to me, my whole future. It needed to go right. Failure wasn't an option. Failure meant death.

I started the car and the engine rumbled to life.

Let the journey begin.

The drive was pretty smooth seeing as it wasn't my first time, although I had to stop to get some more beer.

I kept going over the plan the entire way. Trying to make sure I didn't forget; as if that was possible.

When I finally arrived at my destination, I parked far away and made the rest of the trip on foot.

Then soon, I was standing where I stood a few short months ago. Only then, I'd been surrounded with eight raiding partners and there had been a party going on the pack below.

I couldn't watch from here this time though, so I chose another spot overlooking the pack. I unpacked my bag and made myself comfortable. I put my weapons within easy reach in case I had any unwelcome visitors, and of course, I got my beer out.

Step 1 was already going well.

Adrenaline flowed through me again as I set my self up for surveillance.

It was going to be a long night.