49.

Anaya

Tim was nervous.

Even if I hadn't known him my whole life and could tell his mood from a mile away, his sweaty face and bouncing leg would have given him away.

We were currently on our way to the Royal pack. Although the King had asked to see just Tim, Alex and I were going with him for moral support.

"It's going to be okay," I say to him from the passengers seat. Alex is driving.

"Why does he want to see me? Somebody he's never met before. Hell, I only learned I was related to him two weeks ago! Then he's sending for me?"

I kept quiet. I had no answer for that, I was stumped as well.

"You've met him before, what's he like?"

I wished I didn't have to answer that question. The king had been horrible to me.

"He's interesting," I chose to say.

"That's not good. I know you, Anaya, that's not good."

"Look, just calm down. You haven't done anything wrong, just assure yourself with that. Whatever he may be calling you for, you're not in trouble."

That seemed to help him and he nodded, "You're right. You're right."

We entered the pack and pulled up to the palace. I remembered the last time I'd been here and how I'd left and my stomach tightened.

Alex took my hand and squeezed it, giving me the support I needed. Even without the mark, he always seemed to know how I felt and what to do to make me feel better.

"Ready?" he asked and I nodded while Tim said, "I'm not sure."

I laughed, "Come on."

We all finally got out of the car to find counsellor James waiting for us. What was it with this man being constantly around? He wasn't the only counsellor, why did it always have to be him?

"You're late," was the first thing out of his mouth.

"Sorry," Tim replied but Alex and I ignored him.

"Follow me," he said.

Deja vu. It was like my first visit to the palace.

We followed him and we seemed to be heading to the queen's rooms but he went past the door and further down the hall until we reached the very end.

He knocked on the door and waited for a reply before opening it. Tim went in and Alex and I went to follow but James stopped us.

"He called for just the young man."

The king seemed to hear because he called out, "Let them in."

This displeased James seriously. He scowled but obeyed the orders and let us in.

The King's sitting room was much grander than the Queen's although I guess that was to be expected. The walls were covered in rich tapestry and thick burgundy curtains hung over the big windows.

The King himself was seated at the head of the room, the position of authority. I bared my neck and so did the others.

"Sit," he commanded and we each chose one of the plush, velvet covered chairs facing him and sank into them.

I was able to see him better this way. This was the closest I'd been to him. I had only ever seen pictures and then portraits when I came to the castle. Then I had seen him that day at dinner but he was far away and yelling and hadn't been there for very long.

Up close, I could see that age, or maybe sickness, had really done a number on him. The young, good-looking king that stared out authoritatively from the pictures and portraits had become a frail old man who looked like he couldn't even remember what day of the week it was.

The room was silent as we all stared at him expectantly. He had called this sudden meeting, what did he have to say?

"I'm dying," he started.

"Your majesty!" James exclaimed but the King waved his hand.

"Nobody's surprised by the news anymore, counsellor. The rumour has been carried to packs far and wide. But it's not just a rumour. I am dying and I have committed the worst sin a King can commit. I have no heir."

He let that hang in the air for a bit.

"My mother is your child. You don't consider her an heir just because she's a woman?" the words bubbled out of me before I could stop them.

The King turned his gaze on me, "Dahlia is not considered an heir, not because she's a woman, but because in her current mental state, she is unfit to rule."

My cheeks heated up.

"As I was saying, I am without an heir. Now the royal line is a very long one with many branches. There are a few people who have royal blood in their lineage but have absolutely no claim to the throne. I called for these people, the ones who are Alphas, I've had them vetted and have interviewed them myself," he paused, "None of those people will ever take the throne. They are not worthy."

My mouth refused to stay shut, "Wasn't Alex being considered?"

I looked at him and he avoided my gaze. He was hiding something from me. It was the first time in the entire time that I'd known him that I knew he was hiding something from me.

"What?" I asked.

It was the counsellor who spoke, "Alpha Alexander forfeited the throne."

My eyes widened, "Why would you do that? You were so excited!"

The King cleared his throat. The spotlight had been taken away from him and he hated that.

"I have searched far and wide for what was right in front of me. My daughter, Dahlia, has her faults, she was young and did stupid things but it seems I was wrong in judging her. Because she did one thing right. She provided me with an heir."

He was looking straight at Tim now who was squirming in his seat.

"Timothy, you weren't raised..ah..the right way. Not in preparation to take the throne. But I believe you have what it takes. You carry my actual blood after all, no matter what it has been soiled with. You are my heir. When I am no more, you will become the Lycan king."

I believe my eyes were wide as saucers when I looked at Tim for his reaction. This was huge! There were so many things wrong with the speech my apparent grandfather had just given but he was recognising Tim.

"So, in preparation, you will need to move into the palace, of course and-"

"Excuse me, your majesty," Tim interrupted, a move that obviously irked the King but he said nothing, "I am extremely honoured to be considered. However, I will have to reject this, your majesty."

We all shared the same look of shock.

"I do not want to be King."