17.

Anaya.

"Come on, we're going out."

Alex's words brought joy to my ears because after a week of being cooped up in the house, I needed to go out or I was certain I was going to explode.

"Where are we going?"

"Out."

I rolled my eyes.

Smartass.

I picked a pretty patterned dress from my new wardrobe and followed him out. He was wearing a shirt and a pair of jeans but he still looked so good. I had been noticing Alex's good looks more since the night he'd pressed up against me. It didn't help that he was always very touchy when Selene was around and Selene was apparently always around.

I knew it was no coincidence. She just always showed up whenever it seemed Alex and I were alone together. Alex being nice to me wasn't helping me not get attached to him. He was my mate so the attachment was already there initially but lately? I was getting scared it wouldn't be easy to leave.

The few people we met on the way glared at me while simultaneously baring their necks to their Alpha. Alex walked ahead of me at all points and I wondered if he was doing so on purpose and if so, why?

Deciding not to think too much about it, I ignored both him and the people glaring and focused instead on the pack itself. I could tell if was quite large, larger than I'd initially guessed when we came to raid. The people lived in various types of houses but I noticed none was as big as Alex's

"You have to get a job," Alex said from ahead of me, "People will be suspicious if I have a rogue just sitting in my house all day."

"Yes, but the rogue is your mate so wouldn't that fact make it less suspicious?"

He widened his eyes and came back beside me, whispering, "They don't know you're my mate and I'd like to keep it that way."

"Why? OH," then I understood, "It's beneficial to claim 'the rogue' as your mate to your parents. But you don't want your pack members to think their Alpha would ever let his blood get dirtied like that."

"Anaya,"

"What do you think they'll say when they see the mark you put on me?"

He avoided my gaze, "They don't have to know it was me."

"Oh wow," I was stunned.

"Anaya,"

"No, it's okay. I understand. I had simply forgotten my place for a second."

"Anaya,"

"Come on, let's go get me a job."

He sighed before continuing the journey. I was hurt but I'd be damned if I let myself show it.

"What are my options?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"Well, the gardens, the school, or the training ground."

"The school," I said immediately. I hadn't spent time around children since Tim and I were children ourselves but I'd always liked the idea of them.

Alex shot me a look, "That may not be the best option.."

"Why not?" I folded my arms.

"Um, the people might not feel comfortable having a- you with their children," he spoke slowly as if he was choosing his words carefully but somehow he still had garbage spilling out of his mouth.

"A me? A rogue. Alex, you should at least have the balls to say things clearly. Your people think a I would slaughter their children and use their bones as toothpicks! Right? But then I haven't seen you speaking to these 'people' so, is it them that's thinking that or you Alex?"

"Okay fine, you want the school, let's go to the school."

He must have mind-linked ahead because by the time we get to the small building being used as a school, a lady is waiting outside for us.

"Alpha," she greets, baring her neck.

She looks at me briefly before she and Alex move farther away from me to talk. I could hear snatches of their conversation.

"...good idea?" that's her.

"...bad...for now," Alex answers.

Having already gotten the gist of their conversation, I tune out. Continuing to listen to them would only hurt my feelings. Finally, they returned and this time the lady actually looked at me.

"I'm Zara, welcome."

"Anaya." I saw Alex leave out of the corners of my eye but I paid him no attention.

Zara began to head into the building, indicating for me to follow her, "Do you have any experience teaching?"

"Um, no."

"Hmm, and you're not Lycan," she said thoughtfully.

"I know I'm not," I snapped. What was it with these people and thinking they were so superior? At the end of it all, we all turn into four-legged creatures!

She laughed, "Calm down. I'm just saying you wouldn't know Lycan history so you can't teach it. I'm just trying to figure out what class would be best to put you in."

"Oh," heat filled my cheeks at my behaviour, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I get it," okay so maybe Zara wasn't so bad, "How about with the toddlers?"

We stopped in front of a class with about twelve tiny people inside, running about and making quite a bit of noise

"Do you mind?" Zara asked me.

"Not at all. They're so cute I could just eat them!"

I regretted my choice of words immediately, "I mean they're really cute. That's all, no eating."

Zara laughed again, "Calm down Anaya. So their regular teacher just had a baby two days ago so she's still at home and won't be back for a while. This class doesn't have lessons so you don't have to teach. They play, nap etc. Nothing too serious. Your job will just be to oversee them. Are you fine with that?"

I nodded, "Definitely."

"Great," she beamed.

She led the way into the class and the children stopped their noise and started looking at us curiously.

Stopping at the front, Zara spoke, "Hi guys!"

"Hi Zara," the children chorused.

"I'd like you to meet Anaya s-"

"Hi Anaya," they chorused again .

"They just learnt greetings last week," Zara said to me, her eyes dancing with amusement.

I managed to muster a smile. Truth was, I was nervous. I had no idea how to treat children.

Zara finished the introductions and then she left me alone with them, saying her office was right down the hall and I could get her if I needed something.

Twelve pairs of eyes looked up at me expectantly.

"Um, so who wants to tell me their name?"

◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●

I left the schoolhouse at 3pm, smiling. It wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought it would be. The children were nice and hilarious and I thought they liked me. At least, I hoped so. \

The glares as I made my way back to Alex's house didn't even affect me. I'd had a really good day.

All that came crashing down as I walked into my home and found my mate making out with the girl he claimed his parents were forcing on him.

.
.
.
Have you hit the Vote button? Is this book in your library? Are you just going to leave without commenting??!