21.

Anaya.

It took a few hours for Alex to get everything set because apparently we couldn't just waltz into the Royal pack.

By the next morning though, we were on our way. He had told Selene and his parents that we were going on a romantic getaway. Neither of us thought it was wise to tell them the truth.

My stomach was in tight knots the whole way but I still enjoyed the ride. We rode on real roads, out in the open unlike with my father and the rest when we had to take back roads to avoid detection.

Alex's car was pretty nice too, although I didn't know a lot about cars. It was sleek and black and had leather seats and the air conditioning was freezing.

When I asked him why we weren't simply shifting and running to our destination he said, "Do you want to arrive at the Royal pack naked?"

Which was a very valid question.

"Do you think she's going to want to see me?" I ask him, biting my lip.

"I don't know," he answers and I'm happy he's truthful.

Sure, I didn't have anything to lose by what we were doing. The Lycan community already hated me for what I was born as, but Alex could potentially be making an enemy for himself out of the Royals.

"You don't have to do this, you know?" I had said this countless times already. I had been trying to convince him that I would be absolutely fine with it if he decided not involve himself with this.

"Anaya-"

"I'm serious, you can just drop me off at the entrance to the pack or something and I-" I broke off as the car skidded to a halt.

Alex turns the engine off and turns to face me, his eyes blazing, "Anaya, for the thousandth time, I'm doing this. I want to do this. You're my mate. You don't have to do things alone anymore."

I am struck dumb as I stare at him.

"Okay?" He asks.

And I nod, "Okay."

Satisfied, he turns the car back on and we continue the journey.

Alex used to blow hot and cold before. Acting nice and caring one second, treating me like trash the next. But these days, he was a lot more hot than cold, leaving me feeling very confused.

The rest of the journey is silent until we reach the Royal Pack. The difference is clear from the moment we cross the borders. Each house here looks like a Palace which made me wonder how we wod recognise the actual Palace. There are neat sidewalks and well-tended plants everywhere.

The people here dressed differently too. In other packs, most of the men would be shirtless at this time of the day having just completed training but the men here were in neatly ironed clothes and were generally well groomed.

Alex drove around effortlessly and I wondered if he'd been here before. When we finally pulled up to the Palace, I realise my earlier fear if not being able to recognise it was foolish. It was a building like none I'd ever seen before. The place had to have at least a hundred rooms!

There was a long driveway leading up to it with a fountain in the center. Alex parked by the fountain and we got down, me, taking deep breath.

A man stood at the front of the building and as we drew nearer I recognised him as the Chief counsellor who had visited us. We were expected.

"Alpha Alexander, Anaya," he greeted and we bared our necks.

"Come in," he turned and headed into the Palace. The two guards at the front didn't glance at us as we followed him.

The marble floors and high ceilings had me stunned but there was no time to stop and gape. We followed Counseloornto what looked like a large waiting room.

He sat and motioned for us to do so as well.

"Now, you weren't quite clear about the reason for your visit."

Alex and I exchanged looks before he spoke, "We would like to see the King."

James nodded, "I am chief counsellor. I will consider if the King would be interested in your presence. Now, why are you here?"

I spoke up this time, "Princess Dahlia. We want to see Princess Dahlia."

His face hardened the slightest bit, "I'm sorry, Princess Dahlia doesn't receive visitors. Now if that's all..."

"It's important!"

"Darling, every body who comes steps into this Palace to see the Royals thinks their request is important."

He had stood up now, clearly done with this conversation.

"She's my mother!" I blurted out.

He paused, eyebrows raised, "I don't think she is."

"She is."

He sat back down. He had a smile on his face but his ice blue eyes remained cold, "This is just pathetic. Laura and I mention that you bear a passing resemblance to the Princess and the next thing you could come up with was claim relation?"

He looks me up and down, "I know you're a rogue, I would expect nothing better. But you, Alexander. I must say I'm surprised. That desperate to get the crown?"

"Don't speak to her that way," Alex growls.

"Watch your tone," James' eyes flashed then he stood up again, "Thank you for your visit. The guards will show you out."

Sure enough, three guards came forward.

Seeing no other choice, Alex and I stood up, the guards bearing down on us.

"We can find our way ourselves," Alex said, taking my hand in his.

"Oh no, I think the escort is necessary," James smiled thinly, "Now boys, feel free to get as creative as you want should they prove...stubborn."

I could feel the tears building up as we walked out, disappointment crushing me in waves.

I don't know what I expected but I had hoped to at least be able to see her, not be bounced off and called names before even getting anywhere near her.

We got outside the room and I stopped and looked to the right, the opposite direction from the one we'd come in through, and considered making a run for it.

The Palace was huge and I probably wouldn't be able to find her room even if I tried but maybe I could run about screaming her name until she came out herself.

I seriously considered the idea but decided it was too crazy. Alex squeezed my hand in his as if he knew what I was thinking. Sighing, I let him lead me towards the exit.

There was a flurry of activity at the front door and I craned my neck, trying to see what the commotion was about. I looked at Alex and he shrugged, also not knowing what was going on.

Then out of the small crowd of guards and maidservants, emerged a face I actually recognised.

And by the way she stopped and gaped, she recognised me as well.