36.

Anaya

I watch Alex leave with emotions filling me that I literally cannot vocalise. 

I was beyond ecstatic to see him as well.

After what had happened in the woods, I’d realised that life is unpredictable. You would think that growing up a rogue, I would have learnt that by now but I hadn’t. 

Getting injured and very nearly dying was like an epiphany for me. I’d come to understand and realise so many things. The biggest one of them being, 

I love Alex. 

That seems anti-climatic. Because you might say we’re mates so aren’t we supposed to love each other. But sure you feel a bond to your mate, a bond that strengthens when you complete the mating procedures but love, that’s different. Love is all you. 

I think I’ve loved Alex for a while now but I would never have admitted it if this hadn’t happened to me. I hate pack life and everything that comes with it but if it means being with Alex, I’m willing to give it a try. 

I bit my lip. I was sounding so sure. This was a two-way street. Alex didn’t want a rogue for a Luna. He said so himself. He went on about pure bloodlines and all that. And I didn’t know if his feelings mirrored mine now. 

Should I tell him?

I mean, I can’t speak now but at some point I’ll be able to. If he says no, what do I do? I leave, I guess. I’ll be damned if I lose my dignity. I’ll go with the original plan of returning to the Royal pack with Tim. 

As if I said his name out loud, Tim appeared in the doorway of my room. He looked pretty much back to normal. I winced remembering how he had hit his head when that rogue had pushed him. 

“Hey Ana,” he said softly coming into the room and I smiled. 

He wanted to hug me but he settled for holding my hand, “How are you feeling?”

I nodded and raised my thumb. 

“I’m glad I’ve finally gotten a moment to see you. That mate of yours has been keeping you all to himself.”

Butterflies fluttered in my tummy at that. 

His face turned serious, “Ana, I don’t think you should leave him.”

I frowned. 

“Did I tell you I found my mate too, a few years ago?”

I shook my head. He knew he hadn’t told me any such thing. 

“It was when we went to raid that tiny pack on the edge of the mountains, do you remember?”

It was very vague but I did. The Red River pack. I nodded.

“I smelt her and I knew she was nearby. But what was supposed to do? Leave you and Dad? That wasn’t an option. And I couldn’t force her to leave her family and pack and become a rogue either. So I ran. I made sure I avoided her until we were able to leave.”

My eyes were tearing up. How could he have done that? It would have hurt him so much and he had nobody to talk to about it. It couldn’t have been easy. 

“I’m sssorry,” I croak out. 

“You’re not supposed to speak, Anaya. And you have nothing to be sorry about. I’m not telling you all this to get your pity. I’m saying, don’t throw away your chance at happiness like I did mine. Alex is a good man who loves you.”

My eyes widened and he laughed. 

“What? You didn’t know that he loves you? That man spent almost all his time by your side while you were unconscious. The time he didn’t spend here, he spent trying to find the guy who did this to you. You don’t do all that for a random girl.”

My heart was beating fast. Did Alex actually care about me?

“I’ll leave you to rest now but remember, Anaya, you deserve to be happy.”

I smiled and nodded. I was grateful, I needed to hear that.

He left and I lay there thinking about what he had told me. I wondered about his mate. Had she gotten tired of waiting and decided to do an arranged mating? Or was she sill there, waiting for the day she would meet her other half. I wondered if I could find her. I probably could but I would need more information about her from Tim. Information he wouldn’t want to give. 

I was so deep in thought that I didn’t notice who walked into my room until she was right beside my bed. 

My eyes widened when I saw Alex’s mother.

I croaked as I struggled to get words out. 

“Shh. Rest your neck. You won’t have to do much talking in this conversation. What do you want?”

I frowned. 

“What do you want? What will it take for you to leave Alexander alone? What will it take for you to disappear?”

This was ridiculous. I didn’t want anything from her. 

She kissed her teeth, starting to get impatient, “Everybody has their price. And you are a rogue, you definitely have a price, what is it? Money? A car? A house somewhere? What. Do. You. Want?”

“Nothing,” I croaked. 

She rolled her eyes, “I hate people like you. You’re like an itch in the middle of your back that you can’t reach and refuses to go away. You were smart when you left the first time. That was the only time I considered the possibility that you might have a brain.

But like I said, it’s hard to get rid of itches like you so I needed to be sure you would stay away. But even those rogues couldn’t do their job. Are you all incompetent? And then, the itch is right back in the middle of my back. You are right back in my pack.”

I was finding it hard to breathe. She had sent those rogues after me and Tim? She had tried to get us killed?

She smiled, “This was your chance to actually get something out of this. But either way works for me. The main reason for this visit is to tell you that there’s about to be a celebration.

My son and the beautiful Selena are going to be mated in three days. You aren’t invited, I hope you understand. We would prefer only people of a certain...calibre... to be in attendance. Anyway, lots of planning to do! Au revior!”

And she flitted out, leaving a trail of Chanel No. 5 behind her. 

And leaving my heart beating so rapidly I feared it would burst out of my chest. 

.
.
.
Welllllllll??????????????? Like and Comment!