15.

Alex.

"What the fuck is this?"

"Language now, Alexander," my mother trills as she pushes past me into the house.

"Hi Allie," Selene greets, looking at me from beneath her long lashes before following my mother.

I didn't need to ask what this was though. My mother had never been good at subtlety. The girl my parents' had been trying to get get me mated to for years just shows up the day after my mother finds out that I've found my true mate?

Right.

I follow them as they go into the living room, "I'm asking again, what is this?"

"What?" my mother widens her eyes, feigning innocence, "I told you Selene would be paying us a visit, didn't I?"

I grit my teeth, "You said in a month's time."

"Well it got moved up. Plans do change you know, Alexander."

Anaya walks into the room, her hair a mess from sleep and all eyes in the room go to her.

She looks around, squinting, "Why do you guys speak so loudly in the morning?"

"Oh good, a maid," my mum smiles at Anaya, "Please prepare a room, will you dear? My Alexander's mate has had a very long journey, I'm sure she's quite tired."

"Ummm-" the girl looks at me then back at my mother, I could feel her confusion thorough the bond, "I'm not a maid, but I could definitely help you find one."

My Mother's face hardens, she wasn't expecting that response, but she quickly regains her composure.

"That would be great, thank you. Tell them preferably one next to Alexander's room," she pauses for effect, "At least for now."

Anaya nods, "No problem."

She makes to leave to room, but I'm rushing to her, grabbing her and pulling her to my side, m arm around her. We both gasp at the contact. It was the first time I'd touched her apart from when I'd carried her from the cells. But at that time, she'd been injured and I'd been hyper-focused on that fact. Now, I could feel the tingles from touching my mate running up my arm and spreading around my body.

"I don't appreciate you speaking to my mate this way mother," I look down at her with my arm still wrapped around her, pleading with my eyes that she goes along with this. She seems to struggle at first but seeing the desperation in my face, she stops.

"Mate?" Selene actually looked surprised, looking from me and Anaya to my mother. Oh wow, my mother had conveniently left that part out.

"Oh don't worry dear," my mother said to Selene, forcing out a laugh, "Alexander is mistaken."

"No, she is my mate and she's the one staying in the room next to mine. I'm sure my mum can put you up at her place, Selene."

My mother was getting angrier, glaring daggers at me. Then she forced another laugh out, "Nonsense, there's more than enough room here. I have somewhere to get to now. Alexander, I trust you'll make sure Selene is comfortable?"

And with that, she walked out.

Anaya rounded on me as soon as my mother was out the door, "What-"

"We'll be right back," I said to Selene, cutting Anaya off. Then taking her hand, I dragged her to my study, shutting the door behind us.

"What was that?!" Anaya yelled, and I was grateful I had chosen the study, which had a soundproof door and walls.

"I need your help."

She crossed her arms and laughed, "And I would help you because?"

"Because I did not kill you on-sight when you trespassed onto my territory. I believe that's reason enough."

She dropped her arms and steeled her gaze, "What do you want?"

"I need you and I to pretend to pretend to be happy with each other. At least until Selene is gone," it was the only thing I could think of to avoid this situation my mother was creating.

Selene was a stunning woman. She was tall with pin straight long black hair, high cheekbones, and a body to die for. We had known each other since childhood and I had actually had a little crush on her when we were younger.

I just didn't want to mate with someone for political reasons. I had been holding out for my mate, saying I wanted true love instead. But then I'd found my mate and realised I couldn't have that. Now, I'd mate with anybody if I had to, I just didn't want it to be to further my parents' political cause.

"Who is she anyway?"

I sighed, leaning on my desk, "Her father is the Beta of our neighbouring pack. Ours and theirs' haven't had the most peaceful of histories considering we're both Lycan packs. We used to have a lot of wars and have shed gallons of each others' pack's blood. Things have been calmer recently though. My parents was us mated so that our pack and theirs' will be linked at least in one way. Also so that if we go to war, we have them as an ally."

I felt anger ripple through her when I mentioned that our parents wanted Selene and I mated. At least I wasn't the only one whose wolf was already attached.

She walked around the room a bit, thinking about it. She stooped in front of the window I'd seen her through that first night and she remembered it too because she cast a quick glance at me.

"How long is it until she's gone?"

I was surprised, I'd expected more of a fight from her, "I'm not sure."

"No."

"No?"

"No. You sparing my life when I came onto your territory isn't reason enough. If I do this, I want something in return."

That would scare me in most cases. I didn't know this girl, she could ask for anything. Although, even though I didn't know her, I knew she was stubborn and would not change her mind, "What do you want?"

She was quiet for a while and I knew she was having a hard time deciding what she wanted, "You can have some time to think about it if you want?"

"Yeah, alright."

"So we have a deal?"

She nodded reluctantly, "We do."

"Okay, one more thing," I paused, this wasn't going to go down well.

"Yeah?"

"In order to make this believable, you are going to have to mark me."