12.

Alex.

I was at the training field. I had been here for hours and my wolf still wouldn’t let me focus. He kept wanting me to go back home to the girl.

I shocked myself and everybody else in the room when I had said I would take care of the girl while she was immobile. I didn’t know where it came from. My wolf had gone into overdrive from the moment I had felt her pain in my parents’ house and it was still in an extra protective and caring mode when the doctor had said she would need a caretaker. 

What was I supposed to do? I was an Alpha for fuck’s sake. I was supposed to wait hand and foot on a rogue? 

I threw another punch at the man I was sparring with in front of me. I didn’t really like hand-to-hand combat, I preferred to be in my wolf form and use my teeth instead.

But I couldn’t control the damn beast when it was like this. 

He punched and I ducked. He was strong, but slow. I could see his next move coming from a mile away. I would tell him after the spar. These trainings were lessons as much as they were a place to have fun. We were Lycans, we couldn’t afford to have weaknesses. 

Getting tired of the back and forth, I threw a roundhouse kick to his head knocked him out. The few spectators who had stopped training to watch went back to their sessions, somebody came to get the guy off the ground.

I grabbed a bottle of water and downed it, trying to distract myself. I could feel the girl’s feelings, she was a lot calmer now than when I first left the house. 

I stopped the smile that tried to come onto my face from the thought. I had just been about to leave the house when I heard a crash and felt pain burst through me. Thinking that she was being attacked again, I had sprinted to the room to find her in a heap on the ground trying to get back up.

“What do you think you’re doing?” I asked, leaning on the door frame. 

“What does it look like?” she snapped at me although I could tell she felt embarrassed to have been caught. 

“The doctor said you’re supposed to stay in bed.”

Eye roll, “And I’m supposed to pee myself in the bed huh?”

“You could have called me,” I mean, I wouldn’t have answered but she could have. 

She snorted, “Right.”
“Right,” I looked at the imaginary watch on my wrist, “Well I have somewhere to be.”

I could feel her anger in waves as I left the room and shut the door. I mind-linked one of my maids to go and help her up and left the house. I liked how feisty she was. I had always hoped the Moon goddess wouldn’t give me a docile and submissive mate. 

I didn’t think to hope I wouldn’t get a rogue.

Now though, she was calm and I decided to go back home. I told myself I was doing it because I wanted to but I didn’t know who I was kidding because I never left the training field after just two fights. 

Luke fell into step beside me, “Leaving already?”

“I have work to do.”

“Sure it has nothing to do with the girl?”

I shot him a look and he raised his hands in surrender. 

He turned serious, “People are getting antsy, Alex. We have two rogues on packland who have somehow kept their lives.”

Two rogues, right, I had almost forgotten about the girl’s accomplice that we had locked up in the cells. She still didn’t know about him and I would keep it that way. He would be my leverage if she tried something stupid. 

“Let them talk,” There was nothing they could do but talk. I was their Alpha, they couldn’t question me.

“Care to share your plans with me though?” he lowered his voice, “Are you really going to accept the girl?”

“It’s none of your business,” I growled.

He laughed, “Understood Alpha.”

He left me and headed back. 

I didn’t know if I was going to accept her. I mean, I had already marked her. Rejecting a marked mate was difficult but not impossible and besides, she hadn’t marked me and completed the process. There was still a chance. 

My house came into view and so did my mother. What the hell was she doing here? 

“Alexander! I was nearby and thought I should drop by.”
My mother never ‘dropped by’. There was always a reason for every visit. And never was it to bring me food or something like normal mothers do. 

“Hello mother,” I didn’t get close to her. I knew better than to touch my mother when I was so sweaty. 

“Well are we just going to stand out here?”

I looked at the front door and back at her. She would definitely smell the new scent in my house if we went in. If my mother found out I was housing a rogue, all hell would break loose. 

“Actually, I’m heading back to the training field. Want to come along?”

Her thin lips spread out, “You just came from the field Alexander. Let’s go in.”

Without waiting for me, she went to the door and walked in. I ran to catch up, holding my breath as she stopped just inside the door. 

“There’s something new in this place,” she frowned and looked at me. 

“Uh, yeah. I got a new maid, must be her.”

She looked at me a beat too long then, seeming to accept my answer, she tripped into the living room and sat, placing her bag next to her. the colour for today was blue.

“So what brings you by?” I remained standing, even if she had believed me, I needed to get her out as soon as possible. 

I heard the footsteps before I heard her voice. 

You know in the movies when the guy is crossing the road then gets in the middle before he sees a truck heading straight for him and instead of running or actually doing something to save himself, he just stand still staring at the truck until he 

a) gets hit or

b) somebody pushes him out of the way and gets hit on his behalf?

Yeah. 

It exactly like that as I stand frozen and do nothing to save myself while my truck, Anaya walks into the room.