28.

(23 years earlier).

Dahlia

After what happened with my mother, Vance still wanted us to be together, but I was too scared of offending my father.

Soon, Alpha Kane concluded the business he had come for, and after begging me tirelessly to return with him, Vance went back to his pack.

The weeks after that were terrible, and I was in such a foul mood that everybody around me noticed.

I stopped eating and lost a lot of weight. Only my mother knew the real reason for my emaciation, and she was as sympathetic as she could be.

I started regretting not taking Vance's offer of going to his pack with him. I missed him. My wolf missed him.

Then one day, I was in the garden where I had taken to spending all my time when I heard footsteps behind me.

"I don't want to be disturbed." I snapped.

"Dahlia."

I whirled around, his voice already causing butterflies to flutter within me.

I launched myself at him and threw my arms around him.

"I wasn't sure if you would want to see me," he said tentatively.

"I've missed you! How are you back? "

"Alpha Kane needed the King's permission for something. We're only here for a day. We return in the evening."

My heart fell again.

He searched my face, "You know. The offer is still on the table. You can still return with me."

I bit the insides of my lip, thinking about it, "Okay."

His entire face lit up, "Really?"

I nodded, and he beamed even wider and leaned down and kissed me.

I had been waiting for him to do that. I forgot everything about where we were and kissed him back.

"What the hell is going on here?"

My father's voice made me jump a foot in the air and quickly disengage from Vance.

"Have you gone mad, Dahlia? Who is this fool? "

"Father,"

Vance stepped forward, "I'm Vance, your majesty, Dahlia's mate."

I wanted to strangle him. I wanted to clamp my hands over his mouth to stop the words from escaping. Why was he talking????

He didn't know how to handle my father; I did. And the words he just spoke were only going to make everything worse.

My father sniffed the air before finally pronouncing, his voice filled with disgust. "You came with Kane."

"Yes, sir."

"What right do you think you have to be with my daughter?" growled my father.

"I'm- I'm her mate."

Things were getting worse with every word that Vance decided to utter.

I felt my father release his authority. The power spread around the garden, almost forcing me under it.

Vance did not have royal blood, however, and was completely affected. His head was lowered, his neck bent, his shoulders stooped in total and complete submission.

"I will spare you this once," my father began, "Return with Kane and do not let me see you even breathe the same air as my daughter ever again."

He walked away, leaving Vance and I alone again.