29.

Anaya

"My beautiful baby girl, you're so big!" my mother continued.

Well, she was right, considering the last time she saw me, when she decided to leave us, I was but a child.

She approached me slowly and started lifting her arms to hug me but then lowered them again. She was afraid of what my reaction would be.

I knew I should be angry and I supposed I was, deep down. But really, I was happy to see the woman who I had spent my life remembering with pictures.

Tim was lucky, he was older and had spent more time with her before she left. He had actual memories of her. I lived off of other people's memories. What I knew of my mother were pictures other people had painted in my mind.

So I made the first move and wrapped my arms around her. Her body was weak. I couldn't explain it, she wasn't frail but I could feel the support my body granted hers.

"Ho- How are you here?" She asked as she released me. I saw her glance at the mark on my neck and at Alex.

I had actually forgotten he was there with the Queen.

"You're mated?" she gushed.

I exchanged looks with Alex, "Well sort of."

"Well, tell me. How did you end up here?"

I sat down with her and told her everything. I told her all about the raids and how I had ended up at Alex's pack and found out he was my mate. I obviously left out the part about us faking being together.

"Where are Vance and Tim?"

It was silly, but I had been hoping she wouldn't ask about them. I didn't want to have to be the one to tell her.

"When we went on our raid of the Darkhide Hounds, we lost Tim-"

My mum clutched her chest and I hastened to correct myself.

"He's not dead. I just don't know where he is, I'm still looking..."

"And Vance?"

The Queen stepped forward now, "I think that's enough for today. Dahlia honey, should I ask somebody to bring breakfast up for you?"

My mother ignored her, "Anaya?"

I joined my hands on my lap, squeezing so tight that it hurt, "He's dead, mum."

She was still, as all the blood drained out of her face.

"Dead?" she whispered, "Vance is dead?"

Tears started streaming down her face and I was at a loss concerning what to do.

"I'm sorry."

"But that's impossible" she said, "He can't die. Vance can't die. He wasn't old. It's old people that die."

My heart was breaking watching her like this. "I'm sorry," I repeated.

Her cries were louder now.

"Come on," The Queen said to Alex and I.

I stood up and we all headed to the door but I stood. Something was nagging at my mind.

I turned back to my mother, "Why did you leave?"

The Queen said, "Anaya." just as my mother said, "What?"

Ignoring the queen, I went back towards my mum, "If you loved him this much and everything. If the fact that he's dead hurts you so much, why did you leave us? Why did you abandon your mate, your son, and your 2 year old daughter?"