5.

Alex.

I had smelled her immediately I rejoined the party. I knew immediately that it was my mate’s scent. The question was why was I smelling it for the first time at my grandmother’s 90th birthday party? 

Was there a pack girl who’d just turned 18 today?

You could only find your mate or be found by your mate when you were 18, a benchmark I’d passed ages ago. 

I tried following the scent but I lost it. Growing increasingly frustrated at the fact that the person I’d spent the last 10 odd years searching for was right here within reach and I still couldn’t find her, I went back into my house. 

This was the Alpha’s house, a house I’d inherited along with the title when I turned 21. A mansion I lived in all alone save for a few servants. 

I loved solitude, craved it all my childhood when I’d been constantly surrounded by family or guardians or both. But when I’d finally gotten it, I realised it was overrated.

I went to my study, its window overlooking the party. People were still going at it. I wasn’t surprised, this was the first party we’d had in ages after all. We were Lycans and Lycans don’t party but I would do anything in my power for my grandma- and she had wanted a party. 

“A big one, so that everyone can have fun,” she had said. 

Well she had certainly gotten her wish. I looked for her in the crowd now before remembering that she’d had to retire earlier involuntarily. Her heart wanted to keep going but her body simply couldn’t. I smiled, my grandma often forgot just how old she was. She had let her maid lead her back to her house with a pout on her face, repeatedly looking back wistfully at the party. 

I sipped from the tumbler in my hand, emptying it of the golden liquid I practically lived on. My mind went back to the scent. She had smelled...unique. 

Although it was mostly some sweet smelling stuff like lavender or jasmine, there was earth in her scent. Like somebody who spent a lot of time in the forest or in a garden. It was interesting. 

My wolf was running wild in me, trying to push me to look for our mate but there was no rush. At least, now I knew she was in my pack. No need to disrupt the celebrations, I would find her tomorrow. 

I left the window to refill my glass from the decanter on my table when I smelled it again, this time, stronger. 

No rush my ass.

The glass crashed to the floor and I rushed to the window. I scanned the crowd, looking for her when some movement on the edge caught my attention.

A group of people carrying sacks were edging around the party, obviously trying not to be seen. 

Rogues.

I let out a loud growl. Fucking idiots. Of all packs, they chose mine?

Then the scent was there again. Right there. At the back of the group of rogues, was her. I didn’t need any other confirmation, I knew right there that that was my mate. 

Then she looked back and her eyes immediately met mine. It was night but I could see clearly as if it was noon. 

Mate.

My wolf was ecstatic. 

Then she began to run. 

Away from me.

I let out another growl, this time louder. I set out, shifting, and mind-linking my guards at the same time.

There are fucking rogues on my territory. Somebody better make sure they do not leave.

But we were too late.

My patrol wolves were at the border when I got there. They all hunched and exposed their necks to me, unable to meet my eyes. 

I jerked my head in the direction of my house, telling them to meet me there and took off. I was fuming by the time I got to my house, shifting back to my human form and going inside. 

The party had already stopped in all the commotion and people had gone to their houses. My pack members knew to avoid me when I was angry. And I was beyond angry at this point.

***********************

“How did fucking rogues get on my territory undetected and LEAVE unharmed?!” I stared at the pathetic excuses for patrol wolves in front of my desk. 

Kyan, the head guard stepped forward, “I take full responsibility, Alpha. The guards had requested to join the party and I had okayed it. I was patrolling alone when I saw the rogues leaving. I attacked one of them but the others came and I had to let him go.”

I saw red. I was a Lycan Alpha, my temper was the only thing I had trouble controlling. I wanted to rip his head off but Kyan was my childhood friend and I knew I would regret it after. 

“Get out.”

He nodded once and left immediately, the rest of the guards following him. 

I sank into my chair burying my head in my hands. Deep down, I knew the reason I was this angry wasn’t the rogues getting away. It was a particular rogue getting away. 

I wanted a drink badly but I had broken my glass. I grabbed the decanter and poured the harsh liquid down my throat directly relishing the burn it gave.

I’d never been the luckiest person but my mate being a rogue? The Moon Goddess has to be fucking with me.