42.

Alex

My wolf sank within me as I got off the phone. It was Felix, Kyan's right-hand man. He had brought me some terrible news. A young woman had been found at Watercreek Pack. About twenty years old, lean and dark haired. Her body had been dumped at the front of the pack junior school. She had been dead several hours before the body was discovered.

I had wanted to know if she had a wound on the neck, but Felix honestly couldn't answer that question. I swore under my breath as I prepared to make the journey to recover her body. I couldn't even believe that this was happening, yet Kyan and Tim were in the drawing room downstairs waiting for me. I had asked that we meet here. We would join up with Felix and his team at the pack square security gate. Then we would take off for Watercreek.

Anaya had come into my life only a few months before but it felt more like a lifetime. It was like being at the cinema. Scenes from our life together these past few months flashed through my head. Anaya in my over sized clothes feisty and proud. Anaya at the local school house. Anaya meeting her mother for the first time after all those years. The girl had a way that no other woman alive could even imitate. As I made my way out my room door, a solitary tear snuck out my eyes. I quickly wiped it away.

Damn, why did the moon goddess bother to give her to me, only to take her away?

Tim was in no better shape than me. I watched him out the corners of my eyes as we trooped into the car, and I sensed that he was fighting hard to keep his emotions under wraps. Somehow though, I was happy that he was with me. It could not be easy. The youngster had lost every single member of his family.

Well, he still had a mother, even if she lived half the time in her own private world. I promised myself that once we got Anaya's body and buried it, I'd do my best to give him a new life. I could send him to university and give him the best education that money could buy. Who knows, I could come to really like him like I had his sister. Okay maybe not exactly like I liked his sister.

An hour later we were only about thirty minutes form Watercreek when we heard a loud bang. It was no louder than a balloon exploding but in a minute our driver was struggling to keep the SUV on the road. The back tire had exploded mid motion. I heard Tim scream in the back seat, but honestly I wasn't that scared. The car veered of the expressway, half sped and half flew through the meadows on the roadside for about ten minutes before it got stumped by a huge tree. It swirled vigorously, before landing on its side.

I heard my security chief wimper like a baby. We were all scrambling to get out through the two upturned windows. Kyan first, then Tim, then me. The young guard that Felix had introduced as Derek something, had also crawled out. We called out to Felix, but he didn't sound that good. Kyan got back into the car through the front window and half cajoled, half dragged Felix out after him.

When we finally dragged Felix out the window, we discovered that his left leg of his trousers was soaked in blood. Derek had a pen knife which he used to rip open the trouser leg. There was a big gash on the front of his leg: A nasty open wound that looked like a blood fountain. Felix hissed when Derek tried to move him. The lower part of the leg hung loose at a sickening angle. It was obviously fractured.

Felix tried to make a joke about his wounds but we knew he wasn't feeling so good. He handed his mobile phone to Derek and asked him to call the Watercreek head guard to get some reinforcement. He tried a few times, but each time, the call failed. Then Kyan started to try on his phone too but he couldn't get through either. It didn't seem like our new roadside haven had any phone service at all.

Here we were in the middle of nowhere listening to the occasional car drive by on the expressway but certain that we had gone too far off the road to be noticed by any of the passing cars. We obviously had no choice than to walk back to the road and get help, but when Tim suggested this, Felix was adamant. He had lost a lot of blood and was feeling quite weak. We were too scared to drag him with us and he didn't want to be left behind while the rest of us left. We argued back and forth about this for a while. Then Tim offered to go with Kyan, while the rest of us waited with Felix.

It was another half hour before we finally arrived at Watercreek Pack. A truck driver making a return trip had picked us up. It was getting dark as we approached the modern hospital building. We had made a quick stop at the local precinct to sign some paperwork before we headed for the hospital. Felix weakly insisted that he was fine, but I was more than a little worried. He was a big guy and I wondered how he would function while his leg mended. I wanted to get him to the emergency ward as a matter of urgency. I would certainly feel better once he started to get the needed medical attention.

We left the emergency ward just as Felix was being wheeled to the xray room. I shot Tim a look and we both turned the corner and headed for the morgue. Kyan lagged behind as we sprinted ahead. We rushed in the swivel door, surprising the lone attendant perched on a high wooden stool. He had instructions to release the corpse to us, so he quickly got up once we introduced our selves. He led us to the back of the room, to a table where the embalmed body laid, swathed in white sheets. He carefully pulled the sheets off, to reveal the corpse to us.

The girl on the table had cascades of wavy black hair. Her milky white face looked cold and expressionless.

Tim and I gasped simultaneously.

The girl on the table was not Anaya.