39.

Anaya.

I couldn’t stop thinking about what Alex’s mother had said to me. 

Alex and Selene getting mated?

On a normal day, I wouldn’t have believed her. Because, well, it was her. But this was a woman who had never acknowledged my presence before and she came all the way to the clinic to see me personally. One only does that to gloat. And you gloat when you have won. When you are getting what you want. 

So, I believed her. 

But I didn’t understand it. 

Alex had just left my room after telling me he was happy to see me awake. Was he just being nice? Had I been the one to misunderstand everything? And then Tim had come in here and filled my head with all that rubbish.

I angrily wiped away the tears that had filled my eyes. I will never cry for a man. He didn’t deserve my tears. 

The doctor came into the room and he stopped when he saw my state. 

I forced a smile onto my face as he came closer.

“Good morning. We’re just going to check your vitals and then I’ll check up on your neck. Okay?” he asked and I nodded.

He checked my heart beat, blood pressure, temperature, blood sugar, and then he help my eyelids open and the directed a small flashlight at my eyes and asked me to follow the light. Seeming satisfied, he finally came to my neck. 

He asked me to sit up while propping pillows up behind me to keep me comfortable and then he started unwrapping the bandages that covered my neck. When he had completely unravelled them, I felt instant relief at the cool air hitting my neck and I couldn’t help letting out a small sigh. 

He examined my neck for a beat too long and then I began to panic. Was there a problem? Had it gotten worse?

“Hmm,” he said finally, “Well your neck is almost completely healed. All that’s remaining is for the full scar to form but it is basically healed. You will not need the bandages anymore.”

I could have whooped with joy right there but I restrained myself, “Thank you so much, Doctor.”

A lot of my time in this pack has been spent with me injured in one way or another and in his care. I really was grateful. 

He smiled modestly and left the room. 

Being alone again got me thinking about Alex and Selene again and I began to feel hurt again. Deciding what I needed was some fresh air to get my mind off things, I wanted to goo for a walk. 

I hadn’t been out of bed at all in almost a week so my legs collapsed at first when I stood on them and I fell back on the bed. After a few more tries, I was finally able to stand.

Walking was another issue. I did a trial walk around the room a few times until my legs had gotten used to it before I actually left the room. 

Luckily, Tim was asleep on his bed and didn’t see me as I slipped by. The clean air hit me as I stepped outside and I stopped to breathe it in. It was awesome.

Now that I was out, I didn’t know where to go. A part of me wanted to go to Alex, to ask him if what his mum said was true. But I changed my mind, he would only confirm it was true and then what? I’d be in front of him looking stupid? Looking like a fool? Hell no. 

I decided to just walk and see where my feet took me. 

It was Spring and pretty flowers lined the walkways and I wondered if it would be weird if I smelt one. Deciding I didn’t care, I plucked a pretty lilac flower and held it up to my nose, it smelt divine. 

For whatever reason, I stuck the flower in my hair. I didn’t even want to imagine what my hair looked like. I had to have the worst case of bed hair ever.

I walked for a bit trying to think about anything but Alex but then I ran into Sara. Sara was the girl I had danced with the night we had come to raid the pack. The girl with the bright red lipstick. We had met again after and she had recognised me. She was one of the few people in the pack who didn’t care about my rogue status. But she was also very chatty. Sara like to talk. A lot.

“Hey Anaya. How do you feel? I like the flower. Heard you were really injured. Well you must be feeling well if you’re out and about,” she giggled.

“Yeah, I’m feeling better. Just thought I should take a walk.”

“Oh where to? That’s such a good idea! Want company? I’m not doing anything at the moment.”

“Thank you, but I just want some alone time. Thought I would go up to the borders,” the sentence just fell out of my mouth but I realised I wanted to. I felt pulled to visit where this had all begun. Where we had surveyed the pack from before our raid, where I had been captured when I came back to look for Tim.
“Okay then,” she trilled, “have fun!”

I smiled, “I will.”

I still walked for a bit, until I got to the schoolhouse. I thought about going in to see Zara and the kids and I had actually almost reached the doors before it occurred to me that I probably looked too messy to see the children. They would have a million questions for me that I wouldn’t be able to tell them the answer to. 

Turning back, I headed for the borders. The Darkhide Hound packland was like a gully. It was like a round pit that was created in the middle of what used to woods. So, getting to the borders required a small hike up. It was very easy for any normal person, but I, with my weak legs, struggled a bit before I got to the top. 

I walked a bit and then I was finally at the spot. It was when I got there that I wondered why I had put in all the trouble. What was there to see? Nothing. Berating myself for the unnecessary stress, I decided to head back to the clinic. 

But it was too late. 

I sensed the presence but before I could turn around, a hand clamped on my mouth and something was pricking my arm. 

And then everything went black.