Genevieve's Big Return

GENEVIEVE

After almost a year, here I was, standing in front of the building I was so eager to get away from. After thirty-five shows, my Broadway run was finally over. The reason behind it was that in the contract, I was supposed to perform thirty shows before being replaced, but I got five more because Dance Moms was on a break, so I had more time before I had to come back. I was replaced by one of the many understudies, Lilla, and I knew she was going to do amazing.

It was bittersweet to have to say goodbye to everyone, especially Emily and Sadie, but we're still going to be in contact. We may not appear on Broadway together anymore, but there will be more things.

I felt as if I was entering the eye of the hurricane. I had left two competition seasons ago, and I don't even know what's going on anymore. Mom said that Annie left and a new girl called Asia joined the team. I knew about Asia; I had seen her perform before while she was on AUDC. I had also been invited to be a judge in AUDC. Weird experience, but it was entertaining. I appeared on the show in the final two episodes. In the first one, I was a judge. In the second one, I performed a solo, but maybe the first one is way more entertaining.

I stood backstage, watching a monitor as Abby talked with the remaining contestants.

"So when she introduces you, you will enter right after she finishes." Francesca, a worker from the crew, explained to me as I nodded along, my eyes not leaving the screen. "You walk up to her, hug her, and then sit down over there." She pointed it somewhere on the screen, but I didn't notice it.

"--judged on your interpretation of the character," Abby told the contestants. "Now, I think I need a little help about that, so I called up a friend." A grin came onto her face. "This friend of mine lives through the character. Each time they perform, they tell a story and leave you feeling something." She clapped her hands together. "So please welcome Miss Genevieve."

That's my cue.

I entered the room, being greeted by cheer and clapping as I walked over to Abby and hugged her. After that, I waved at the girls ― who waved back ― and sat down, all while keeping the same sweet smile on my face.

Tessandra Chavez came in, teaching the girls the choreography for the new challenge. All while that happened, Abby sat next to me.

"Are you nervous?" She asked me and I shook my head. "Remember, you have to judge them. You cannot care about hurting their feelings. If you do, then how are they going to get better?"

"I'm really excited," I admitted as I tightened my ponytail. "Who do you think is going to win?"

"Maybe that one in blue." Abby pointed at one of the girls.