Double The Moms, Double The Drama

TW:

The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from an enemy.

It had come from one of the people closest to me, but I still hadn't seen it coming.

Three months.

Three months had passed.

But it all felt the same.

Dead.

I had been told to come to the studio to continue rehearsing for different things-- all of the teams were, but everyone else took a break.

The worst part? I never failed to show up.

And I knew what I was walking into, but there was no way I would miss it.

And now, everyone was back to start a new competition season. Both teams would be back, cameras would be back, and the producers would be back.

Ava started dancing. Zane started dating some girl. Giselle and Nick broke up. My father got a raise. My mother told us about the situation.

They moved on.

I still lived in the same hell every day.

And the worst part is that I never spoke up. Correction: I barely even talked. Along with the fact that I barely ate.

I barely lived.

But I had stopped smiling a long time ago.

I had stopped feeling anything a long time ago.

I stopped talking to everyone. I only focused on getting better, and better, and better, because I had to prove to Miss Abby that I was worthy of being the favorite. I was worthy of being the best. I was worthy of beating Madison. I was worthy of being the best and ultimate dancer.

I'd be her golden girl. I'd be the star of the show. I had to prove I was born to dance, but all eyes were on me, and my anxiety took over.

Non-diagnosed anxiety, that is.

And as I stood right in the front of the select team as we stretched, it didn't get any better. All of the mothers grinned from ear to ear, clearly ecstatic about the attention the teacher had been giving their kids lately. My mother hadn't been allowed to be in the room with me. Instead, she had to wait outside along with my sister and our te-- the other team.

The bun my blonde hair was currently in had given me a headache less than ten minutes ago, and with the echoes of Miss Abby's voice, it didn't get any better. I was sweating under my jacket and on my face. It was strange because the room had the air conditioner set at sixty degrees Fahrenheit, so it should be the opposite of what I was feeling.

Luckily ― probably not that much ― the other team soon entered and Miss Abby took it as a sign to finish our warm-up session. I got handed my black, red, and white team jacket by my older sister before I switched them and stood with the rest of the original-- our team.

"I've been gone for two months." The teacher started and I swallowed in discomfort. "Going to dance studios that were in trouble. Seeing these problems firsthand with somebody else, I realized the mistakes that I have made, and I'm not gonna make them anymore. I want kids that want to be the best, and that's exactly why you guys are here--" She turned her head over to the select team's direction. "-- To push these kids to the next level." She pointed at us. "'Cause there's always someone to take your spot. Now they're here; they're right next to you."

Judging by the reflection of the team, they looked beyond annoyed and uncomfortable by the situation we were in.

"Evie."