Viva Las Vegas

Walking into the studio the following Tuesday, it was evidently different. Well, the walls were still white, and the floor was black, but it felt cool. Probably because it's new for all of us. My hair was in a french braid ― and it definitely didn't take me forty minutes ― and I also wore my black, red, and white ALDC team jacket, just like Maddie, Kenzie, Lexi, and Kendall. Nia and Chloe, on the other hand, were wearing their mainly white jacket. My mom and I stood between Melissa ― plus Maddie and Kenzie ― and Holly ― plus Nia ―, with her standing on a platform right behind me, and me standing between Kenzie and Nia.

Abby started by talking about our current location ― Los Angeles ― and was about to recap the dance concert before we were interrupted by the select team, and I heard Allison whisper something behind me, which made me remember: is Lexi part of our team, or their team?

"Gang's all here," Jill muttered as we watched them walk into the room.

"Well," Christi muttered back. "Not all of 'em."

Abby was staring at them in shock. "So, you didn't wait to be called in? You just-- trumped in here."

"That's their thing." I heard Mom comment. "They've been doing that since the first time they set foot in the studio."

Melissa agreed. "They don't follow the rules like we do."

That comment earned chuckles from all the mothers on our side of the room.

Christy hummed in disapproval as she stared at the teacher. "No, you guys are perfect, I guess." She looked down at her daughter, who was waving at us. "I don't know." We all waved back. "Sorry for interrupting, Abby."

"Abby," The teacher looked at the Frazier mother. "What is the purpose of the select team right now?"

"To dance." She motioned over at the group. "To win. I am in it, to win it. Absolutely. It's all about the win."

"These kids have won three nationals in a row." Jill pointed out.

"I think the winds are changing." Christy's attempt at whispering was a total fail and everyone stared at her.

Abby looked back at the Hunt mother. "There's a lot riding on this." She pointed at our team. "This team has never lost at nationals. You've beaten this team."

Then, Jeanette walked into the room with Ava, pretending as if nothing had happened.

"Stalker," Jill commented, and it managed to get an amused grin out of Abby. The other mothers also laughed at her comment. "Now do you believe us? Stalker."

"She's still part of the team," Jeanette said, and, I swear, I had never seen Christy look that shocked at anything.

I mean, it's normally her in Jeanette's place. Imagine how shocking that must be for her!

All Jill, Christi, and Mom spoke at the same time, but different things.

"Abby kicked you guys off." Jill continued. "Along with another one." The other ones were Tracey and Sarah, but I was really confused about those two.

Abby then motioned Ava to come over, and when the girl obliged, the teacher took her team jacket off. "She's not a part of the team."

"We want to be here," Jeanette shook her head as a teary-eyed Ava walked over to her.

"You were cut from the team," Abby told the girl.

"When was she cut?" Jeanette questioned and Abby sighed. "I was never told she was cut!" The select team mothers then joined the argument, along with Melissa, Allison, and Holly.