There's Only One Star

We were back in Los Angeles thanks to Abby. We still don't know why, but she promised that it was for a really good reason.

"Well, you thought you were going home after Lake Tahoe, and here we are back in LA." Abby tells us, "I have a big surprise; it's very exciting. Before I get into that, you notice there's no pyramid, yes?"

Mackenzie  Paige  Nia  Brooke  Chloe  Maddie  Genevieve

"Everybody's in a straight line 'cause here in LA, it's not really about the talent, it's about the look." Abby continues, "I'm ready to talk a little bit about the surprise. This is LA. The best people in the world come here. They're all vying for the seam job. Everybody wants to be a star. You are going to get the opportunity to audition for a major music video."

Thanks to that, we were stuck in another studio the next day learning a hip-hop combination.

The day after that was the infamous audition day, and I was not confident with hip-hop at all. It's the style we do less, it's the style that is really energetic, and Abby is the opposite of energetic.

It was even worse once we got into the room with a lot of other kids who were auditioning.

"As you all know, MSA represents the top dancers and choreographers in the business. What we're doing here today is looking for our next generation of stars. So with that, please have fun, and I look forward to seeing you in the room."

We then started learning the combination, and I was somehow getting it pretty quick.

So even after the "class" was over, I found myself going over the combination in front of the mirror.

"Would mind some company?"

I turned around to face a girl. She looked older, about Brooke's age.

"It's good." I tell her, "I'm Genevieve."

"Lexi." She smiles.

We then go over the combination again, with her giving me some corrections.

"I think you'll be able to handle it from now." Lexi tells me, "Good luck."

"Good luck to you too," I say as she walks away.

I walked over to Chloe and Maddie, who were looking at their headshots.

"I know you guys are pretty, but you should stop doing that," I tell them.

We had to go in after that, so we did the combination and then some improv, which was good in my opinion.

While some people just did acro tricks, I decided to have a little mix between jazz and hip-hop.

I soon figured out that what Abby called "hip-hop" was actually just "jazz".

After the auditions, we were called back in.

~~~

"So, we've seen a lot of dancers come through our agency. One thing that you're learning about is that rejection is a huge part of the business, and you'll just have to keep going, right?"

"There's a number of things that we look for when we have an audition; it's not always about dance technique and all those sorts of things. There's a commercial aspect that we look for-- danceability and your presence and how you adapt. As we always say, as you walk in from the very first moment unto the audition, we do take notice."

"But we do have amazing news for all of you ladies, and that is that there's a new and upcoming pop star. There is a music video coming up, and they're looking for a girl dance group, and we all think that you ladies will be perfect for that."