Cheerleader Blues

This week, we were going to do an acrobatic-gymnastics routine. Brooke was the lead, mainly because acro was her forte.

Maddie

Chloe   Genevieve   Brooke

Nia   Paige   Mackenzie   Vivi-Anne

During the week, the chaos was about Kelly and Abby. All over Brooke.

Why did she look unhappy? Why doesn't she want to dance anymore? Why is she acting so moody? Those were only three of all the questions Abby would ask Kelly and Brooke daily. Because of that, Paige was always uncomfortable, and I tried to make it better.

One day before the competition, I managed to get a couple minutes off, and decided to enter studio B, where some other ALDC students were taking a tap class. When the dancers took a break, I walked over to Riley, who was drinking some water.

Riley was one of my closest friends. She was about a year and a half younger than me, but that didn't really matter to us.

"What's up?" Riley asks as she puts the water bottle away.

"Abby and Kelly." I answer, "A little literally."

"They're the protagonists on their own movie." Riley says, "Abby and Kelly: The Great Pennsylvania Adventure. Coming soon to a theater near you."

The two of us laugh as we sat down on the floor.

"This week is really boring in the show." I say, "Only Vivi has a solo, Abby and Kelly spend all of the time arguing, and the group dance is really hard."

"What do the other girls think?" Riley asks.

"I haven't really talked with them that much." I answer, "I was hoping you'd have an idea about what to do."

"I don't know." Riley shrugs, "Have fun..?"

"I'm trying." I comment.

Riley smiles as she looks over to me.

"I have an idea." She smiles.

I smile and Riley continues.

"It's not going to solve any Abby-Hyland drama, but it may take your mind off it." Riley comments, "If I'm not wrong, Jake and Zane have a baseball game tonight."

"You wanna go watch it?" I ask.

"Yes!" Riley exclaims, "You cheer on your brother and I'll cheer on mine."

"Well, dad was taking Zane to the game because mom is with Giselle at a competition today." I comment.

"Let's tell your dad." Riley says, "You do have your phone, right?"

"Yeah." I answer, "Let me just get a few things ready and I'll meet you out in thirty."

~~~

"Yes, Jake!" Riley exclaims as Jake slides into home.

She sits down besides me, and I was eating a hotdog.

"Why aren't you more excited?" She asks.

"I don't know anything about baseball." I say and take another bite of my hotdog, "And Zane hit me with a baseball, like, two years ago."

"Why?" Riley frowns.

"Well, he was following Elle around the house because she stole his baseball bat. I was playing with my dolls outside. So when she ran outside, Zane saw it like a great opportunity to throw the baseball at her. It ended up hitting me on the back of my head and they both got in trouble."

"At least Jake has never done that." Riley comments and smiles, "Whooo, Zane!"

I laugh and finish eating my hotdog.
"Excuse me." I say as I stand up.

As I throw the napkin away, I run into a boy.

"Sorry." He apologizes.

"No, it's my fault." I say as I look at my phone, "Maddie, stop texting."
"Who?"

"Oh, just my friend who's driving me crazy right now." I say and hold my hand out to shake, "I'm Genevieve."

"Owen." Owen shakes my hand, "And what are you doing here?"

"Watching my brother play." I answer, "And being here with my other friend. What about you?"

"The same thing." He answered, "I have a game tomorrow."

"Cool." I say, "I'm a dancer."

"Where do you dance?"

"The Abby Lee Dance Company." I tell him, "I gotta go, my friend is probably wondering if I got lost."

We smile at each other and we both walk away. I look back to see Owen walking away. I smile again and continue my way.

~~~

If I ever had an "I hate" list, waking up early had to be number one on it. After years of having to do it, I should be used to it, right? Wrong. I absolutely hated it, but I still had to do it.

I was still a little sleepy as I worked on my makeup for the group dance. Maddie would have occasionally thrown her stuff back into my makeup case for me to react.

"Okay, what if you wash your face?" Maddie suggests as she also works with her makeup.

"I already have my makeup done." I tell her, "I'm not going to ruin it."

"Okay." Maddie says as she throws her brush back inside, "Wake up, Genevieve!"

"I hate this." I sigh as I lean back on my chair, "I wanna sleep until eight at night."

"Same." Paige agrees from afar.

After a couple minutes, all of the girls watched Vivi perform her solo. After that, we were back in the dressing room.

"I cannot believe Cathy just left like that." Mom comments.

"Glad we woke up at six in the morning to support her," Kelly adds.

"Six?" Melissa asks, "Five!"

"Four," I whisper.

"Three, two, one," Maddie whispers.

"Happy new year." Chloe finishes.

We all finished getting ready and went to perform the group dance.

~~~

"Third place is going to 225, "Poppy Symphony". That's Lowell Dance Studio." The announcer says, "Second: "Pages of My Letters". Release Dance Academy." Everyone cheers, "Top junior group: It's going to "Ups and Downs". Abby Lee Dance Company! The top junior group all day."

All of the girls stand up and go receive the award.

"You had a 294. That's elite gold." The announcer tells us, "It's so close to a perfect score. Who is teaching you all so well?"

"Miss Abby." Chloe answers.

"Miss Abby, you've got great dancers up here." He says, "Now, are all of your girls really best friends?"

"Of course."