Big Trouble In The Big Apple

The mood was different this time around. The day after the competition, we filmed a Christmas special. When the idea was first pitched, I didn't know how they were going to work with it. What did the producers consider Christmas-y in the show?

Well, giving gifts that cost almost five hundred dollars.

We performed a group dance after the mothers received their rather interesting gifts and Maddie performed a solo later on. Cathy soon joined the party and the Candy Apples Senior Troupe performed a group dance. After all of those things ― including Nia's and Kendall's fathers showing up and some not-so-nice poems written by Abby, Cathy, and Christi ― the moment I feared arrived.

Nah, I was simply going to perform "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" and I'd say I did great. I didn't run out of breath and held the notes for a very long time.

Then, the gifts happened:

Nia got some baking equipment.

Kendall got a makeup set after Abby rambled on for about thirty minutes about her really liking how Kendall did her makeup for the competitions and that Jill didn't help her.

Brooke got a home recording studio, and it looks like Abby's pretty desperate to be a part of her growing music career.

Paige got a vanity with one of Abby's many jumpscares.

Giselle got a really cool-looking camera for vlogging-- I swear she's gonna be a YouTuber or something.

Chloe got a collection of books and something else.

Maddie got some custom tap boots and a shopping spree courtesy of Capezio.

I didn't have it any different-- kinda. I got some of the coolest-looking pairs of pointe shoes ever along with some more ballet equipment and a shopping spree. Again, courtesy of the ever-so-amazing Capezio.

And Kenzie-- didn't have anything. She was naughty.

Oh!

And she got a puppy!

Following the filming of the special, Abby explained to me how she wanted me to start doing pointe, but as excited as I felt at the moment, I couldn't help but remember that it isn't all that safe. We're supposed to wait until we're thirteen, but for some reason, we ― at the ALDC ― start earlier. Depending on whether Abby likes you or not. For example, Giselle has only worked with those once, but she's thirteen. I turned eleven less than a month ago. So instead of declining the opportunity, I simply said that I'll wait until I was older while looking excited so she got the hint.

But even with all of that, the mood being different didn't necessarily mean it was good. We all entered studio "A" and formed our usual line. Abby didn't have even a hint of a smile on her face, and that was worrying. "I would love to say congratulations. I would like to be excited about the overall high score win of the group routine. It was the highest-scoring number of the entire event, but I wasn't too excited about my fourth place solo. And my third place duet."

"Abby," Jill spoke up. "Do you regret bringing Chloe in? It took time away from every one of these kids." She shook her head slightly. "Do you regret that? Or--"

"No, actually, I really enjoyed working with that young lady," Abby answered.

"On-on our kids' time, though." The older Vertes pointed out and motioned over to us. "This is your ALDC. This is your name on your back. Not hers."

All hint of happiness ― which were minimum ― vanished from the teacher's face. "Jill, are you teaching me how to run my business?"

Jill was quick to deny." No-No-- she didn't fit in with this team, and, more than that, she took time away from your kids."