Night Of The Living Dancers

"Girls? You walked into this room just as sluggish and boring as you walked out on that stage. Zero energy." Abby tells us, "You have to come out there with energy. You can't get halfway through the number and then peter out. You're boring!"

Comforting words.

"So, at the bottom of the pyramid: Maddie. Maddie, you had an opportunity to dance. That didn't happen. They announced you, and you're bawling in the audience. That is unacceptable behavior. You're nine years old. When opportunity knocks, you open the door." Abby explains, "Mackenzie, your routine was a winning number. You were tenth. I don't do tenth." She reveals the next headshot, "Paige. You went out there, you looked great, you forgot a step. You can't forget a step."

Paige nods and Kelly rolls her eyes.

"Brooke, you're here because you give me this much. I don't see this, I don't see a personality, I just see this fake old smile. You're concentrating so much to not screw up the dance, you can't have fun out there." Abby continues, "Nia, again, you're here because you showed responsibility, you quit fooling around, and I didn't have to hear your mouth all day long. Yes?"

Abby then reveals the next headshot.

"Genevieve. You performed a duet with Chloe, it was amazing. You were in sync. You were dancing as one, but you were second. You were beaten by a boy and a girl performing a lyrical dance." Abby says, "Chloe, you did your solo, but listen to me, I want more." Chloe nods, "For the first time on the top, we have Giselle. You were the only first-place winner last week, and you killed it onstage. Now, I need that behavior and dedication to continue. Sadly, I wish your mother was here, but she has better places to be."

"She had a baby a month ago." Melissa comments, "She's obviously not doing this because she wants to."

My sister and I look at each other, clearly annoyed with our teacher.

After a small argument over a literal baby, we continued.

Giselle

Chloe   Genevieve   Nia

Brooke     Paige   Mackenzie    Maddie

"This week, we are going to the Energy Dance Competition in Chicago." Abby announces, "So we had a great competition the last time we were in Chicago, but we didn't win. I'd like to win. Nia, you, and Mackenzie will be doing a duet. Brooke and Giselle will be doing another duet this week. Paige. You have a solo. It's not a reward. You can screw up your own dance by missing the choreography, but you can't mess up other people. Brooke, you also have a solo. Chloe and Genevieve, you're both having solos. Let's see if you work better together or separated. Chloe, your solo is called "Unchained", but, you know what the rule is. You're not in class, no solo."

~~~

"You're late." Abby says as I rehearse my solo, "Stop."

I then stop dancing and turn to face her.

"Have you noticed a pattern?" She asks me.

I shake my head in response.

"Every single time I'm actually hard on you, those are the times you actually win." Abby explains, "When I don't do that, you're second."

"Second's good." I silently comment.

"Do you want to be the best?" Abby asks again, "Do you think second place is the best?"

"Um, no," I answer.