Break A Leg

I'm telling you, the drama backstage was over the roof. Since then, the whole deal fell into everyone's ears. Yes, everyone. Abby, the moms, the producers, everyone, so guess who decided to invite Payton this week?

As soon as I heard, I knew this week was going to be a nightmare. Brooke, Giselle, and Payton? I needed to skip dance. Maybe I could make up an excuse. I don't want to be in the same room as the three of the most, well, the most dramatic girls at the moment.

However, it was all just a dream, because once I entered studio "A" with Nia and Maddie, they were all standing there. The three of them and . . . Nick?

I swallowed hard as I stood between the Zieglers, not really wanting to stand next to my sister, who stood next to Chloe. The pyramid soon started, with Abby ignoring the awkwardness and rather addressing the fact that both Kelly and Paige were missing.

"Where are Paige and Kelly?" Abby asks as the moms entered the room.

"They're at the doctor's," Brooke speaks up.

"Wish she had gone too." I heard my sister whispered.

Chloe shushed her and I bit my lip, trying to not let my amused smile show.

"Today?" Abby asks, clearly not expecting the response given by the teenager.

"I think it's more serious than just a toe." Christi comments, looking at Abby without turning her head.

"She said it's really swollen." Melissa agrees, nodding in response.

"Oh, my goodness." Abby looked back to us from our mothers, now looking a tad concerned. "I told her not to fool around. Kids, do you understand that your body is your instrument? That you need to take care of it? And I said, "Girls, don't fool around.". There's cement underneath this carpeting. I remember vividly saying that."

"Where's Jill?" Christi speaks up, taking all of the attention.

I looked around to notice that Kendall wasn't standing there with us. Involuntarily, I let out a sigh of relief.

If the Vertes weren't here, it meant that there was less drama. Everything was going to be focused on the teens instead.

"Jill is not an official member of this competition team," Abby answers, earning nods from all the moms, even Leslie. "She would like to think so, but I may forgive people, but I don't forget."

Moving on from the topic, Abby clapped her hands as she spoke up again.

"So, congratulations are in order. We had an amazing trip to Lancaster. I entered four solos in the competition, and I had four girls in the top ten."

At that moment, all of the moms and some of the girls applauded, huge grins growing on their faces. After being told about competing in Philadelphia, the grins only grew. Then, Abby started with the pyramid, revealing five headshots in a row.

On the bottom was Paige, who Abby explained had been great, although the injury could be worse than what we've imagined until now. Next to Paige were, in order: Payton, Giselle, Brooke, and Nick.

"Payton, you weren't here last week, although, you played a big role in-- situations that occurred during the past week, both in the competition and in the studio." Abby starts off. "Then we have Giselle. You didn't perform in any dance, but, then again, your name was mentioned at least five times in less than five minutes."

Maddie, Chloe, and I all shared knowing looks, remembering the argument between Nick and Brooke minutes before going onstage.

"Brooke and Nick, you both performed in the group dance that was first place. I would have loved for you to be on the second row, or maybe even at the top, but it didn't happen." Abby shrugs. "I'm going to tell you the same thing I told Giselle last week: grow up and stop acting like little kids. Stop being over-dramatic and focus on what actually matters."