She's A Fighter

"This weekend, we were in Providence, Rhode Island. An hour outside of Boston. Some of the most prestigious dance studios in the country are there. Tough schools, tough competitors, and you really held your own. You won that victory cup. You killed it. I'm very proud." Abby says, "I'm very proud of every one of you, and you know I don't say that too often. I'm also very proud that all the moms kept their mouths shut and didn't say anything to me. See how much nicer it is when everything goes so smoothly? It's wonderful." She looks back at us, "Now, if only the moms could learn to be team players like their daughters, then we'd be in business. Now, let's talk about this week's competition. We are going to--" She turns around the chalkboard, "What?"

"StarPower!" We exclaim.

Maddie

Genevieve   Chloe   Brooke

Paige   Nia   Mackenzie   Vivi-Anne

"It's at the Mohegan Sun in Connecticut, and it's a resort." Abby announces, "It's all self-contained. We can't forget anything. So, we will have a wardrobe for each day that they are going to be there. just like the old school days, yes? And you will pack here in front of me so that I know that you have everything. Let's talk about the board."

"Can we sneak in candy?" Maddie whispers.

"We could hide it inside," Chloe whispers.

"--as a team. That teamwork is going to help you at nationals. That's what's going to put you over the top. Teamwork and technique. Those are the two things that we're going to concentrate on this week. Moms-- we're doing another new number. One more costume. This week, I'm going to ask you to work harder than you've ever worked before. We need to show up, walk in there like we own the place."

After she finished talking about the resort and pyramid in general, we all went back to the dancer's den. Maddie and Nia had solos that were going to be shown on the show. Chloe, Brooke, Paige, and I were all going to perform old solos that were not going to be shown. Mackenzie and Vivi also had a duet that wasn't going to be shown.

Later that night, Riley and I sat in the dancer's den as I looked up something on Giselle's laptop.

"Yup, they're fairly new to the whole blogging thing." Riley comments as the "Bratayley" YouTube page loads.

"The oldest one was posted a couple of months ago," I add.

"Do you think we could run into her?" Riley asks and I look at her.

"Why?" I ask.

"I mean, we all live in Pennsylvania." Riley says, "We're all dancers. We go to competitions, and we're the same age."

"I guess," I say.

Giselle and Brooke entered the dancer's den.

"What were you guys doing?" Giselle asks as I close YouTube.

"Nothing." Riley closes the laptop, "Just playing."

I give my sister the laptop and walk out.

A couple of days later, we watched as Maddie rehearsed her solo "Angel" for the fifth time in a row. No one talked, it was plain silent, and we just watched as Maddie flowed with the music.

"I heard there's a photogenic contest at the competition." Paige comments, "Sounds fun."

"Is someone entering the contest?" I ask.

"Not interested." Brooke comments.

"Me neither," Chloe adds.

"Nope," Nia says.

"I guess it's between you and me." Paige looks at me, "I think you should do it."

"Why?" I say.

"Let's be real here. You would look amazing." Paige explains, "Besides, I think Abby will like it. She wants to win everything, so there should at least be one of us in that competition."

"What about Kenzie?" I ask.

"What if she pulls a two-weeks-ago?" Paige asks.

"A tantrum?" Brooke asks, "That sounds mean, but also true."

"Fine." I give in, "I am entering the contest."

"Yes!"

"Only if you explain it to my mom," I add.

"I'll do it!" Paige offers, "Whatever to get you in."

She runs out of studio "A" and we look at each other.

"Wait, did she really mean anything?" I look over to the door, "Paige! Could you be my servant for a day?!"

"No!"

"At least she heard you." Nia comments.

"You guys are being too loud." Maddie walks over to us.

"You should join us and stop dancing," Chloe says as Maddie sits down.

"I can't. This solo is for my grandma." Maddie explains, "It has to be perfect."

"What more perfect than that?" I ask.

"Perfect perfect."

Thanks to Maddie, the word "perfect" was stuck in my head for the rest of the week. Even as we walked into the competition building, the word was still in there. Even as I was in the photoshoot, the annoying word was there.

You could call me Perfect Turner.

As I stretched with Nia, it looked like I wasn't the only one that had the word "perfect" on their head. Both Maddie and Brooke looked the same as me.

I have no idea how, but I was glad when we were finally backstage with no moms and no Abby.

Paige and Nia were marking the dance. Chloe was looking at the group that was currently performing. Brooke sat on the chair and Maddie stared at absolutely nothing. I was sitting on the chair, trying to ignore the word once again.

"Please help me welcome "Make You Mine". Number 128." The announcer says and we all walk on stage.

The dance was good, but definitely not "perfect". Nia was off and Maddie may have slipped on her chair. She literally cried offstage and then lied to Abby.

The group was in second place. Maddie's solo was first. Nia's solo didn't place.

On the bright side, I may have won a certain photogenic competition.

Gotta thank Paige for that.