17. Art Exhibition

Luella's 1st Person POV

"I've never been to an art exhibition like this before! This will be fun!" Olivia's girlfriend, Sonya, shares as she pulls into a parking space. Olivia is currently in the passenger seat of Sonya's sedan while I'm sitting in the back seat, right behind Olivia.

"It'll be amazing to see Kook's art displayed. I'm excited," I say in a genuinely giddy manner as I unbuckle my seatbelt. The three of us get out of Sonya's car and start walking towards the building where the exhibition will be held for about a month, according to what Jungkook has told me.

As we get closer, I notice Olivia brushing off her shoulders of her black cardigan. "I'm shedding like fucking crazy."

"Is more of your hair falling off?" I ask her while looking over at her with a concerned expression. Olivia said losing her hair was something she could accept but when her hair started falling off for the first time, it made her unexpectedly cry.

"Yes. And, as much as I want to hold onto my hair, maybe I'm going to need you to shave it off for me tomorrow, Lu." I can hear a bit of hesitance in my sister's voice though I know she's trying hard to remain strong through all of this.

"Are you sure? I mean, of course, I will do it if you want me to." I try to give her an encouraging smile.

"With how much my hair seems to be falling out, I might as well. I can't stand waking up with clumps of hair in my bed and a lot of it coming off when I shower." Her voice gets a little shaky and I can tell she's trying hard to not sound emotional.

"Lu, if you shave Olive's hair, I want you to shave mine, too." Sonya says as I see her grabbing hold of one of Olivia's hands and lightly squeezing it to give her comfort. The way Sonya looks lovingly over at Olivia is the sweetest thing ever. I'm really happy that my sister does have someone who cares for her, wholeheartedly.

"Babe, I know you mentioned doing that not too long ago, but, you really don't have to," Olivia tries to object but Sonya shakes her head.

"I just want to show you moral support, Olive," she softly says to her. And, at this point, we are now falling into the small line to enter the art exhibition.

"If you really want to, but you already do enough by being there when I was dealing with the side affects after my first chemo session." Olivia reasons out.

"And, I'll be there for all the other times," Sonya assured her and looks at me and smiles. "Luella, you are shaving both of our heads tomorrow, and that's final!"

"We'll do it tomorrow morning, then!" I say to them, and I feel better when I see a soft smile appear on Olivia's face as she looks at her girlfriend.

It's couples like them that make me think relationships could work, but I feel like it's such a rarity.

A minute passes and we make it inside the large building. Tons of people are scattered all around the gigantic space. People are either studying and admiring the artwork, mingling with others, or helping themselves to a table of hors d'oeuvres.

Olivia and Sonya, neither having eaten much the past few hours, head straight to the table of food and refreshments. They leave me alone, though it doesn't quite bother me. I immediately head over to a painting close to the entrance, completely drawn to the use of color. After a minute of taking in that first piece of art work, I move over to the next one.