Bonus Chapter: Scar tissue

John

16 years after the ascension

Time goes by so fast, isn't it?

It seems like only yesterday I was a teenager who wasn't even allowed to sleep at the pack house on weekdays, even though I am the Luna of the pack. Parents, am I right?

It's not like I was going to evade school if I slept with my mate during the week. My mate.

Even with all the years that have passed, I still had trouble owning up to the word. Not that I didn't know I'd have a mate, of course I did. I just didn't know I was even allowed to dream about Rosalyn being my mate. I certainly wanted to. But wanting has nothing to do with mates.

My dad never wanted a human mate. My uncle, the former Alpha, never wanted a male mate.

At first, anyway. They're one of the happiest couples I know, despite the odds. And were the power couple of the pack for nearly 20 years. That is until MY mate ascended. In a twist fit for the Goddess, Rosalyn won the mate race and ascended even though her brother was supposed to.

But that was then, this is now. At the present time, I'm a proud father of 3.

My eldest son, Felix is 13 and will have his first shift today at the full moon ceremony.

My twins - I know, right - Carol and Nate are 12, but since girls shift first she is probably going to shift tonight too, alongside her older brother.

There are only two major milestones in a werewolf's life. One is the first time you shift into your wolf. It's your first contact with your animal side and it can be very dangerous if left unchecked. That's why parents have to keep watch of their offspring on this auspicious occasion.

I remember when my dad was with me on my first shift, you know, cause my mom is a human we didn't know whether or not I'd shift at all. And for a moment, I really thought I wouldn't.

And it crushed me. But as soon as I did, it was a very special moment in my life as was in my dad's.

So you can see why I'm so excited to experience the same with my children.

Oh and in case you're wondering what the second milestone is, I have one word for you:

"Good morning, MATE! Are you ready for today?" - I asked Rosalyn as I wake her up with a kiss on the forehead. It should be noted that I love waking up next to her everyday. But the Alpha's bed is a pleasure all on its own.

"Good morning, mate. You mean, for someone to google questions and try to trick me in the Alpha challenge? Sure, why not? It's not like it's a 136 years old legacy anyway!" - She snickered.

You'd think someone would get less sassy with age. As we are in our early 30's. You'd think wrong!

"As if anyone could ever have a chance against a woman of your intellect." - I stated. She really is a remarkable girl and I'm not saying that because she's my mate. In the Alpha challenges, each challenger gets 3 questions. And she has never got one wrong. She's never lost the favor of the crowd. In 16 years!

"You're just saying that cause you have to." - She jokingly rebuked.

"Oh, I don't have to do anything. You're stuck with me forever. I'm saying that cause it's the truth." - I retorted in a ironic fashion. She smiled wide.

"OK, you win." - She smirked as she kisses me. I love her so much I don't even care about morning breath. Also, I rarely win.

"Good morning, Alpha. Good morning, Luna." - The warriors at the table stand up to greet us. So does the unmated members. But the Huntingtons don't get up, just greet us. But they all bowed their heads.