Chapter 3: More than words

Emmett

I'm not used to losing.

When you're the only son of a revered, respected Alpha of a mighty dynasty, you grow up under certain expectations. And obviously the main one is that you'll succeed him!

It's what his father expected of him, his dad's father, and so on, dating back to the inception of Rutherford Falls' pack. But then I had to contend with someone no one saw it coming: my twin sister!

Of course, I could be an ass about it and say that I was the obvious choice. But as much as I like to give my sister grief, I wasn't the obvious choice. We both were!

She could fight (nearly) as fiercely as I did. Her wolf was every bit as majestic as mine was. And she was smart and confident. And ready for anything just like me!

In other words, it's in the Goddess' hands!

But I want it! I want it badly! If I could fake being mated to someone, I'd probably cheat. That is if I wasn't afraid the Goddess would pair me with a serial killer or something! I mean, you don't want to piss off the deity of all werewolves!

Not to mention, if (when) I get caught lying, I would not only be removed from Alpha, I'd be banned from the pack altogether! Destroying my family's 120 years reputation! So no, that wasn't a choice.

That being said, I'm anxious as hell! When we went to the Blood Moon pack yesterday, I was hopeful. Apart from being mated to the Alpha's son, I'd be down with just about anyone!

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm all about the ladies! But if my dad taught us any lesson is don't discard anyone! So I braced myself. Still, nothing. Also, it sucks that I can't find anyone yet. All I can hope for is to be found by a hot senior or a college girl. One can only dream...

Actually scratch that, I didn't even dream about her! If I did, I'd drive to hell and back to get her!

At breakfast, dad asks me if I had any interesting dreams lately. He thinks he's so clever! If I had, I'd be already on my way to meet her, not having breakfast!

Because I'm the son of the Alpha, the Goddess would allow me to dream about my mate, prior to turning 18. It's what happened to every Huntington heir since the beginning of time. It gives us an opportunity to talk to our Luna prospects; after all, if they are not by my side on my next birthday, I don't ascend as Alpha.

However, that also means that my sister can dream it too. So, like I said, I'm anxious.

"No dad, I didn't dream with anyone, if I did I'd be in my car already! Not crying about it to uncle Nate like you did." - I snickered. I know I touched a sore spot so I braced for impact.

When my dad dreamed with his mate, it was also a revelation for him. Because his mate was a guy and no one knew about it. So when uncle Nate, his brother, found out dad's mate's identity, it was his coming out moment. It was a scandal at the time for an ascending Alpha to be mated to a boy, a human one which made it worse!

"Thank you for that assessment, son. It's so nice when the worst moment of your life - or so I thought at the time - can be used as entertainment by one's progeny." - He stated calmly.

"Our car." - Rosalyn interjected, glaring at me.

"Starting Monday, you'll help the groundskeeper in the garden. It's time you learn something useful." - He continued and I whined.

"No dad, I hate gardening. The only green I like is the one under my wolf when I'm running." - I croaked.

"Precisely. You'll start right after breakfast." - He insisted.