Chapter 40: Careless Whisper

Rosalyn

After a long turbulent time, things are finally getting back to its tracks. Dad, aunt Denise and Uncle Nate made a full recovery and are all back to their usual selves. Delta even took over our warrior training again and is back to making our lives a living hell, including Paul's, who now trained with us as he'll be Beta of the pack when my brother ascends.

Things with John are also great. And by great I mean fantastic! We managed to get people to stop commenting on the mate situation and respect the time that we have together. I mean, even my brother was on our side. Imagine that!

So, we finally have some peace for a while. I mean, we still couldn't leave the compound unaccompanied. That much is given. But other than that, everything was all right.

Yes, John had to do the school project with THOSE girls from his class. Nothing to do but give him space and trust. Also, the best damn blow job a boy can have at his (or any) age. That probably didn't hurt either. That's what secret rooms are for, anyway! But he took his time with me too, it's not a way one street, you know?

Hey, don't judge me! Wolves are possessive creatures, even if he's not my...

I don't care! He is MINE! For as long as I have him, I will not back down!

I'm doing great at school, but that isn't any surprise. Especially if you're basically not allowed to see your boyfriend socially during the week days. But that is about to change!

The holidays are upon us. Emmett's doing great too. He just celebrated his mate's 18th birthday. And for all accounts, Sam was killing at Luna classes with daddy.

Before the school break, we're having Saturday night dinner with special guests Paul, his little brother and mom. Uncle Nate invited them over. I guess he wanted him to get acquainted with the pack house, not that he's never came here before, of course he did. He's Emmett's best friend since they were kids.

"So Paul, the reason I invited you and your family here before the holidays is to inform you start Beta training with me the first week of January. And so I'd like your mom and brother to get better acquainted with what's gonna be your second house coming next April." - Uncle Nate stated.

"I thank you, Beta Underwood. We appreciate the invite. The food here is delicious. Do you eat here often?" - Paul asked him. He looked very pleased.

It is a great honor to be Beta, as you can imagine, it's the second highest rank of the pack. But especially in a pack this size, the name Underwood for instance is known throughout the entire state and beyond among the packs. That is without taking into consideration the Underwoods founded our pack with the Huntingtons, so we were the 2 oldest families of the entire town.

"I do, indeed. Especially lunch. My mate works full time as you know and both my boys study, so I eat lunch here everyday when I'm not out on the pack's behalf." - He replied.

"Beta Underwood, is my boy going to be in any real danger?" - Mrs. Johnson asked, worriedly.

"Well, Vanessa, you know what happened to us 3 months ago. So yes, the Beta is the protector of the pack. But we're not in the front lines everyday like the warriors such as your late, great, mate. I work mostly in planning, strategizing, making sure Denise doesn't kill any warrior from training. You know, boring stuff!" - He snickered. Aunt Denise glared at him.

"I see..." - She sighed, not exactly pleased with his answer.

"But I'll tell you this. Beta is certainly less dangerous than being a warrior, which is what your son will probably be in case he doesn't ascend." - Uncle Nate argued.