Chapter 9: I'll Be There For You

Emmett

I was angry. I was pissed. How dare they know something about my mate that I didn't and don't tell me? I had every right to be!

After that disappointment with my aunt and daddy, I threw myself at all the things I could. I trained, I worked out, I even studied a little! All to pass the time so I don't think about her.

I am at my best friend Paul's house right now, telling him all about my plight. His dad is a warrior so he lived inside the compound and it wasn't that much of a walk from my home. In fact, he lived closer to us than the Underwoods.

"I can't believe they didn't tell what they know to you, bro!" - Paul exclaimed. He looked pissed off like me.

"I know, right? Wouldn't you like to know everything about your mate?" - I asked him.

"I would! I'm so jealous you get to dream about her! I wish the Goddess gave all of us dreams about our mates!" - He croaked.

"I wish that too, bro. But the only thing that consoles me through all of it is Rosalyn. Poor thing, she has no idea who her mate is." - I snickered.

I don't wish her to be alone, but I certainly don't want her to find her mate before I do. He can find her once I find mine, I want her to be happy too. She's my sister, after all.

"Hey, if she wants, I'll be her mate." - Paul joked. I mean, he said it with a laughter but I know he has a crush on her. He thinks I don't know, but I do. So does Rosalyn, probably.

"Gross!" - I rebuked, a disgusted look on me. - "I don't want you to be her mate. Besides, if you were, you'd probably sense it as you're the one closest to 18 than all of us." - I told him. He turns 18 this Fall. Rosalyn and I only next year.

"I had no idea I'd find my mate that day either." - Paul's mom chimed in from the kitchen. We're at the living room. But the house wasn't that big. Not to mention, she could listen us even from her bedroom. Wolf hearing.

"Yeah mom, but you're already old when you met dad!" - Paul snickered, looking at her.

"I was 21, thank you very much!" - She rebuked with a laughter.

"But the point is: you were already past 18, so was dad. That's easier to meet your mate." - He continued.

"That's true. But what I meant was: she could be your mate and you'd never know, till one of you turns 18." - She spoke and I grimaced.

"OK, please stop talking about you being my sister's mate. If you were, she would win. Cause you'll be 18 way before us. Plus, I'm pretty sure my mate is human so it's gonna be a motherfucker to win her over!" - I admitted, a bit sad at the realization. And frustrated!

"Excuse the language, Mrs. Johnson." - I apologized. She laughed it off. She's so cool.

"You're right, bro, I'm sorry. I'm not your sister's mate. Maybe she'll meet him when she's 18 and by then you already had the entire school year to schmooze your mate." - He tried to make me feel better, which worked. I smiled widely.

"Thanks, bro. Actually, I think so too. Maybe her mate is not going to appear until she's 18. By then, I would've already won!" - I cheered.

"I don't envy your father's decision. I wouldn't want to pick between my sons either!" - She interjected.

"Yeah mom, but you only had 1 at a time. It's not the same thing. He had 2!" - Paul snickered.

"Regardless, your children are your children. You can't pick between them!" - She rebuked.

After I left Paul's house, I was feeling a little better about myself. I mean, I was still pissed at my daddy and aunt, but at least I had the entire school year to talk to her. That is, of course, if Rosalyn doesn't have any dream about her mate until then. Fingers crossed.