V7: Chapter 6 - Going in For Law

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

I sat on my bed, listening to the creak of the springs.

I had managed to escape my work for today arguing that Nao had given me the day off and let Kiriyama and Mizowaki in the student council to sort out all the paperwork.

Joining the student council had allowed me to understand how troublesome paperwork was...

In the meantime, I was here deciding to sort out my future, I was using my phone, the school app opened, as I scrolled aimlessly through things like class points and personal balances. I stayed like this for a while if something unpleasant hadn't happened. As I was calmly scrolling through my phone, it slipped from my hand and landed on my face.

I took it away and glanced at the white ceiling for moment.

"...Guess I'll have some tea."

With a sigh, I stood up and went inside the kitchen to make some tea. My visitor should arrive any moment now, anyway. I turned on my tea-kettle.

Let's start at the beginning.

Why had I enrolled at this school in the first place? So, I wouldn't have to return to my old environment. It wasn't that I was particularly dissatisfied with the White Room, though it was quite problematic from a human-rights perspective. Still, you could receive the best possible education there, and it was that education that had shaped my personality and abilities.

However, even after my father praised me as his greatest masterpiece, I'd felt a discontentment that I couldn't put into words. Even if I was the most superior human that existed... was that really something to be proud of?

It was because I'd lived my life believing there was always something more to learn that I considered learning to be meaningful. So, what happened when there was finally nothing left to learn? Life would be horribly boring, wouldn't it?

Well, to tell the truth, I didn't care about all that.

I needed to consider what I should do from here on out. I had always known that my father would contact me someday. I'd been prepared for it from the moment Chabashira-sensei insinuated that she would get me expelled, though, I had discerned her lie. Now, Chabashira-sensei's protection wouldn't be enough. That man wasn't the kind of foe someone like a class teacher could thwart. Thankfully, Chairman Sakayanagi would be on my side as long as I didn't break any rules.

The kettle started to whistle.

I continued thinking about the last events. The rumour of Hiyori and the bullying of Kei.... The matters of Karma and Nao. I didn't need to worry about the negotiation with Matsuo, I knew that had been solved, so, Hiyori would be fine. The matter was the rooftop. Mikoto wanted me to intervene, but I was still debating whether I should show up or not. Perhaps calling him was better, the annoyance was that he would ask for a favour, perhaps I could use some arguments from preventing him from asking a favour... The good side would be that I would be free to deal with Nao if I call him.

The kettle whistled and shut itself off.

My cabinets overflowed with teabags, since I usually have all kinds of visitors stopping by. I'd amassed an extensive range of supplies, from coffee to black tea to green and roasted tea. Akito and the others were quite fond of the game in the console. They had even bought another pair of controllers so we could play four at a time. Chiaki, Mio, Akito and Yoshi were particularly good while Airi and Suzune were still to win a race... Haruka spent most of her time in rear gathering annoying objects and throwing them at us, that tactic of hers had prevented some of us from winning more than once.