V3: Chapter 8 - Behind the Curtain

Matsushita Chiaki POV

Walking over the forest, I picked another branch. It was dry enough, so I kept it.

I was doing a round to collect branches for the campfire along with Horikita-san, Ayanokouji-kun, Kushida-sanand Miyamoto-kun. A short while ago, we had split into two groups, and I had found myself with Horikita-san.

This was my opportunity to talk to her about it. I had been delaying it each time, but I had to have this conversation with her before the exam was over.

"Horikita-san, can I ask you something?"

She answered affirmatively while picking up another branch.

"Did something happen between you and Kushida-san."

"No," she simply said not even looking at my direction. "Why the question?"

"Well... She may hate you to some degree," I answered.

I had pondered a lot these past few days whether to answer her truthfully or not. I finally opted to be honest with her. Since our conversation at the beginning of the exam, Horikita-san had implied herself a lot with the work at the camp, it'd be washing the clothes and leaving them to dry or giving directives here and there. She still treated our classmates in a cold manner, but I was glad she was trying to be useful for the class. I'm sure everyone shared the same thought, even Hirata-kun; especially when one considered that Horikita-san was our leader.

"I see."

"You don't seem surprised..."

She shrugged and turned considering this conversation over. I couldn't leave it at this, however.

"It's just that," I began joining her to walk by her side. "Kushida-san tried to be friends with you at the beginning of the year, right? I thought that perhaps all your refusals made her, you know... hate you."

"Kushida-san is free to think whatever she wants of me."

"Even if that feeling drives her to work for your expulsion...?"

She stopped completely and stared at me, not taking her eyes off mine.

"What are you implying, Matsushita-san?"

"Huh? I'm not implying anything, Horikita-san," okay, time for the truth. "It's just that I discovered another side to Kushida-san, and she well... hates us both, so I thought I could—"

"Why does she hate you?"

"Because I discovered this other side of her," I replied immediately, tilting my head, I would have thought that much was obvious.

Horikita nodded in understanding. Looking thoughtful, we stayed in silence for a minute. This was taking too much, come on Horikita-san, help me with this.

"...Kushida-san and I went to the same middle school."

"Eh? Huh?"

Confused sounds escaped my lips.

She had just given me information, right? I didn't dream it?

A wide and happy smile formed on my face along with a sudden urge to give Horikita-san a hug. I held myself though. I wouldn't get a positive reaction if I did that.