V5: Chapter 4 - Everyone's Calculations

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

Really, all the spying served little purpose. The information we were getting from spying on Classes C and B wasn't that helpful. The key to victory ultimately lay, not in the opponent's strength, but in the composition of the group-event teams. If you didn't know the names listed in the participation tables, you couldn't attack other classes strategically.

Thanks to our temporary alliance with Class A our odds improved dramatically. Still, the participation tables of Classes C and B were unknown to us, so the possibility of us competing against the most physically capable students of those classes was real as well.

The day following my conversation with Matsushita and two weeks before the sports festival, Matsushita... Well, I suppose I would have to start referring to her as Chiaki... In any case, to everyone's surprise, she stood up from her desk and went towards Horikita.

"Horikita-san? Do you have a minute?"

Everyone looked baffled and Horikita wasn't the exception. I couldn't blame them, though. It had been a while since Chiaki took any kind of initiative.

Looking startled, Horikita gazed at me for an instant before turning her attention back to Matsushita. She nodded.

"Yes? Do you need something, Matsushita-san?"

"I do. But maybe we can speak in private? I would like you to join as well, Ayanokouji-kun," she stated, a timid smile on her reddened face.

That was normal, though. After all this time keeping to herself, she had lost a lot of leverage, so it was impossible for her to just start things where she left them. She would have to go slowly if she wanted to become a major player once again.

"Sure," I said as I finished packing my things.

Classes were over for today, and we wouldn't have any training. Overdoing would have a negative effect on our bodies so resting was equally important.

After Horikita finished packing her things, the three of us left the classroom.

"So, what do you need, Matsushita-san?"

"Mm. First of all, I would like to apologise. I haven't been myself lately..."

"I think everyone's aware of that. But if you're willing to help again, I have no objection," Horikita replied.

"Thank you, Horikita-san. I will give my all, from now on. As to why I was like that—"

"No need," Horikita cut her. "I have no interest in hearing that. I trust the matter's settled. What's the other thing you wanted to talk about?"

Matsushita looked around making sure there wasn't anyone else that could eavesdrop.

"... The other thing? Well, it's Kushida-san."

"Kushida-san?" Horikita narrowed her eyes.

"Yes. I explained things to Ayanokouji-kun yesterday, at least the outlines."

"Yesterday?" Horikita questioned giving me a glance.

"Mm," Matsushita nodded. "Ayanokouji-kun helped me realise some things so I could come back to help the class."

"Is that so?" Horikita didn't take her eyes off me.

Just as I was about to tell her to stop looking at me like that, she nodded and thanked me for helping Matsushita. An "huh?" almost escapes my lips.