V8: Chapter 6 - Class B

Kanzaki Ryuuji POV

We normally had Saturdays off, but lessons were still being held at this outdoor school. However, the timetable was slightly different from weekdays. Our lessons were only in the morning. Once those were finished, we had free time.

The special exam started on Thursday. It was already the third day of camp, and discord was beginning to manifest within the group. It started early, just after five o'clock in the morning.

"Aah, I'm so goddamn tired!" shouted Yamauchi at the outdoor cooking area.

"So is everyone else. And make sure to measure the ingredients correctly—don't mess up the amount of miso," said Eiichiro, flipping through the breakfast menu the teachers had given us.

"Why do I even gotta help make food in the first place?!" he groused, though he kept stirring the miso to make it dissolve. "I've never cooked anything."

"We could get hit with a penalty if our whole group's not here," Norihito reasoned. "So, we don't have any choice."

"Whatever, dude, like I care. God damn it. Oh."

"What was that?"

"Nothin'."

"No, that was something. Where's the salt you were just holding?!"

"I put it all in."

Norihito turned off the fire in a panic. He tasted the soup and choked.

"Ack! It's not even edible."

If we'd given that soup to the seniors, it would have invited a lot of criticism. Not to mention it was probably unhealthy too.

"You have to start over."

"Screw that. You do it. Or what about Ike?"

"Heh?! I'm busy if you haven't noticed!" Ike shouted at his friend.

I sighed. "Sotomura, help your classmate."

"Yes, sir!" Sotomura stated, giving a salute with his fish slice before approaching Yamauchi and starting with the miso soup once again.

With that, I focused once again on the frying pan I was holding on the camp stove.

"Dude, you're really good." Sou complimented.

"I'm used to cooking my own meals," I said simply.

As I continued with my task, Sudou approached me silently, carrying a bowl filled with whipped eggs.

"Thanks. If you're up for it, can you cut up some vegetables too?"

Giving a nod, Sudou skilfully brought the kitchen knife down on the cutting board, dicing vegetables with ease. We'd be feeding a lot of people, so I kept churning out fried eggs.

"You seem pretty skilled in the kitchen as well, Sudou," Ryouta complimented with a small laugh as he prepared the raw vegetables and tableware, one of the easy jobs.

"I've been learning how to cook these past few months..."

"Right, you're in the basketball team, so, I guess you have to make sure to eat healthy," Ryouta thought out loud.