SS15: Sakayanagi Arisu - A Favour to My Friend

I arrived early at the library and quickly went to the second floor to prepare the board and get a table in a calm spot.

I could barely contain my excitement. Finally, after all this time I would be able to face the masterpiece in a game of chess. And during his own birthday at that. Naturally, I had bought a gift for Ayanokouji-kun. I had it inside a bag which I placed next to the table as I began preparing the chess pieces across the board.

It honestly surprised me when he accepted my invitation, of course. Not only because of his birthday since I would have thought that those friends of his would be dragging him around all day, but also because we were facing each other in this special exam. So, I would have thought he would rather avoid me.

The arrival of this special exam had been a true blessing. It allowed me to finally have my match with Ayanokouji-kun after the prelude of the cruise exam. It would be ludicrous to count the sports festival. It wasn't an exam and spending energy in ridiculous planning would have been for naught. So, I limited myself to plan the surface strategy of Class A and gave free rein to Nishikawa-san, Katsuragi-kun and Nao-san. The risk of the sports festival results affecting my classmates' perception of me was negligible. However, on this exam that wasn't the case anymore. Despite the fact that we didn't get the expected results because of the intervention of Ayanokouji-kun, the cruise exam remained the only one where we got a positive result. Therefore, even if it was just for the moral of our classmates, a victory on this special exam was important.

"Good morning, Sakayanagi," Ayanokouji-kun's voice took me out of my thoughts.

Like me, he was wearing the school uniform which was obligatory to enter the library the same way it was to enter the school building.

"Good morning, Ayanokouji-kun," I greeted. "Thank you for coming. Please, do sit down," I invited him to sit on the chair in front of me.

"Well, I had no reason to refuse," he replied referring to the invitation as he took his place in front of me.

"Hoh? Haven't your friends invited you out?"

"No, why?"

I smiled at him and gave him the gift I had bought after picking it up.

"Happy birthday, Ayanokouji-kun," I stated.

"Hmm. How did you know today's my birthday?" he inquired accepting the gift.

"Why, it isn't exactly a secret is it?"

I suspected Ayanokouji-kun was aware of the existence of Nao-san's reports, although I wouldn't question him about it. Furthermore, you could see people's birthdays on their profile's if you had their contact information.

"I suppose you're right," he commented. "Thank you for the gift. May I?" he made a gesture to open the gift.

"Oh please. I'd like to see your face when you see what it is," I giggled slightly.

Ayanokouji-kun nodded and opened the bag. The next second, he took out a long grey coat, perfect for winter.

"Isn't it a bit too early?" he queried raising an eyebrow.

"Why, I couldn't wait until Christmas, Ayanokouji-kun," I said tauntingly.

The moment I saw that coat on the shop, I knew I had to offer it to Ayanokouji-kun.

"In any case, it's a good coat," he mumbled as he examined it.

"So, do you like it?"