V4: Chapter 10 - Dragon Group II

Ichinose Honami POV

Yuki-san was the last one to arrive.

The fourth group discussion would begin soon, and the entirety of Class B had reunited in one of the largest meeting rooms of the second deck following Karma-kun's convocation.

He stood in a place where he was able to face us all.

"Okay, let's begin then," he mumbled.

"Karma-kun? Why did you call us here? The group's discussions will begin soon, we might be late," Mako-chan was the first one to speak.

Karma scanned everyone's faces before replying.

"Like Mako, you must be all wondering that. Well... I called you here to apologise," he spoke calmly. His usual grin wasn't on his face, instead he looked serious.

"Why would you need to apologise, Karma?" Ryuji-kun inquired.

"I apologise because Class B will lose this exam."

No one reacted instantly. Everyone showed surprise at first, then, different expressions began appearing. Confusion, irritation, scepticism. I was myself quite astonished. I thought Karma-kun's plan was running smoothly.

Earlier he had ended two Class C groups, so we should have gained a hundred class points, right?

"...What are you saying, Karma-kun? Don't joke around..." Sayo-chan laughed nervously.

"I'm not joking. As some of you know, earlier I ended two Class C groups. Well, I purposely gave the wrong answer."

"Why would you do that, Karma-kun?" Eiichiro-kun asked. "You've been helping the class climb up the most. It's not like you to... uhm..."

"I think the word you're searching is betray, Matsuo."

"Ryuji-kun!" I reprimanded him instantly. "Karma-kun wouldn't do that to us. He must have a reason to explain his actions. Right? Karma-kun?"

Karma-kun chuckled slightly. When he stopped, he gave a deep sigh and gazed at the roof.

"I owed Mikoto a favour."

"Mikoto?" Kozue-chan asked. "That's Misaka-san's name, right?"

Some of my classmates confirmed her question.

"I don't understand Karma-kun," Beppu-kun told him. "Why something like that would affect our result?"

"I suppose Misaka-san asked for a favour that gave Class B no room to act," I answered Beppu-kun's question before turning to Karma-kun. "Is that it, Karma-kun?"

"Yeah... My hands were and are completely tied. I'll try to save face in the Dragon group," he bit his lip. I suppose he wasn't pleased by the situation. "Those who's groups are still meeting just attend. You don't have to do anything in particular but don't send any emails."

"So, we just have to sit and watch what happens?" Ryuji-kun questioned. "The plan was to become Class A before summer vacation was over."

"I suppose we can say mission failed," Karma-kun shrugged.

"There's really nothing we can do?!" Yume-chan shouted her question attracting all eyes.