V5: Prologue - Bet's On

Akabane Karma POV

"This is it for the sports festival preparations. Thank you everyone for your hard work," Horikita-senpai told us putting an end to today's meeting.

Monday, classes would begin again, and the sports festival would be announced to everyone. With that announcement all the machinations were set to begin. But... starting a bit early wouldn't do any harm.

"Nagumo," I called him as everyone was finishing packing their things.

He looked at me with inquisitive eyes.

"Yes?"

"I would like to know if you remember our conversation."

"What conversation may you be referring to, now?"

I smirked.

"You told me we would play in September, right?"

An amused expression appeared on his face.

"I did say that. So, do you really want to be my new toy, Karma?"

"I don't know about that. But I do have a proposal for you."

"What kind of proposal?" he raised an eyebrow.

"A bet."

"Now, this intrigues me. What's on your mind, Karma?"

"We will bet on the class that will perform the best on the sports festival. The loser will pay 20 million private points to the winner."

After my words, he let out a sounding laughter and clapped his hands.

"Amazing, Karma. You're crazier than I thought. Tell me can you afford something like that?"

I shrugged.

"I don't need to have 20 million points since I won't lose, but if reassures you then, yes. I can afford it."

"B-but Karma-kun our class—"

"Is there a problem Ichinose? Perhaps you don't trust me..."

"Eh? No, I trust you Karma-kun. I just wonder if this is the right thing to do, 20 million points it's a huge amount."

"Then there's no problem," I turned my attention back to Nagumo.

Everyone was just looking at our interaction. Horikita-senpai and Runa showed a certain interest in our conversation. Kiriyama, Mizowaki and Tachibana were simply looking in disbelief not comprehending my actions.

"But there's a problem with your bet, Karma. Why would I agree to such terms? How can I be sure that you will keep to your word?"

Grabbing my bag, I took out a bunch of papers and threw them on the table.

"Why wouldn't you? 20 million points it's like pocket money to you right? I also wrote this contract. It specifies even the most insignificant term; you are free to read it of course. Once we've signed it, there's no way out of it. Besides, we have six witnesses, one of them being the student council president himself."

Nagumo grabbed the contract and skimmed through it.

"Hah! You even bothered to specify that you wouldn't use your position as treasurer to your advantage!"