V2: Chapter 4 - Propaganda

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

The evening, after the strange event with Ichinose and Shiranami, I got a call as I was doing some online shopping. My phone was plugged into the wall next to my bed when suddenly its screen lit up. Caller ID displayed the name Kushida Kikyou. I rolled my chair across the room, snatched my phone off the stand and sat in my bed.

"I'm sorry for calling you so late. You're still up?" she asked.

"Hmm? Oh. I was thinking of going to bed in a little bit. Did you need something?"

"Sakura-san's digital camera was broken, right? I feel like I'm partially to blame since I made her so flustered. So, I wanted to take responsibility for that..."

"I don't think you should feel responsible, Kushida. Not in the least. Besides, she's going to get it fixed, right? Since it's so important to her, wouldn't she get it repaired no matter what?"

However, as I spoke, I realized it probably wasn't that simple. Sakura was extremely inept at social interaction, and probably lacked the self-confidence to go to a store by herself. It was probably similar to how someone might feel about dining alone in a restaurant.

"So, did you offer to help her then, Kushida?" I aked.

She'd probably been proactive about establishing some common ground with Sakura.

"Yeah. She seemed hesitant at first, but then said that she'd be fine with the day after tomorrow. I think that Sakura's digital camera is probably really important to her."

Kushida had done a wonderful job taking the proper first steps to earn Sakura's trust.

"But why are you telling me this? Won't it go more smoothly if it's just the two of you?"

"If we were just going to get it repaired, I suppose. But there's another thing. I'd like your help with it, Ayanokouji-kun."

"Do you want me to ask if she knows anything about Sudou's incident?"

"Horikita-san seems convinced that Sakura saw everything. After getting a bit closer to Sakura-san, I also think she knows something. But there has to be some reason why she's keeping quiet, since she keeps denying that she witnessed it."

"I understand, but, why me, though? Matsushita or Hirata wouldn't be better options?"

I understood why Horikita wasn't an option. It was delusional to think that Horikita and Kushida would spend a day together. Sudou and his group weren't an option either, since they'll have eyes only for Kushida or would just harass Sakura trying to make her confess that she's the witness.

"Well, that's certainly true, but... I thought, since Matsushita-san said you came up with the idea of the old tests, you could think of something to deal with Sakura-san."

I see. So, it was because of that, huh.

It was convenient, though. I'd wanted to visit the electronics store for a while now. I leaned against the wall.

"Okay, I'll go."

I chatted with Kushida about this and that for a little while. I didn't get too worked up over the conversation; it was casual, so there was nothing to be nervous about. It was proof that she could invade my personal without causing discomfort. In my mind, I was happy to call Kushida a friend.

"Speaking of special, don't you think Horikita-san is way more special than someone like me? She's great at studying and excels at sports. It makes me wonder why she's in Class D."

Horikita wasn't special. She belonged to a unique class of people. I kept quiet, though, afraid that if I badmouthed her, she'd find out about it.

"Wasn't she assigned to Class D in part because she's not very sociable?"