V5: Chapter 10 - Scavenger Hunt

Akabane Karma POV

The bell rang, and the second half of the sports festival began.

It was time for the recommended participants' events. Only elite students from each class would take part in the remaining four competitions.

"You're participating in the scavenger hunt, right, Karma-kun?"

"Yeah, I'm replacing Matsuo," I answered Shinobu's question.

She nodded.

"Right. You're replacing Eiichiro-kun in all the competitions, is that it?"

"Yes. It's unfortunate. I wanted to enjoy my free afternoon."

"Well, at least you think it's unfortunate," she said while rolling her eyes at my comment.

I chuckled.

If Matsuo got that injury it was his own fault. He should have known his limits instead of trying to get such a meaningless first place.

As the first round of participants for the scavenger hunt began taking their positions, the referees explained the competition before it started.

"Some items in the scavenger hunt are quite difficult to procure. To pick a new item, you can request a redraw, but there will be a thirty-second waiting period. You must make your redraw request to the referee when you draw your lot during the competition. The game ends when three players reach the goal. That's all."

After that explanation, we started getting ready for the second-round scavenger hunt, which I was participating in.

Pretty soon, the first race started. Sayo was participating for Class B in this round. Class C representative was Ibuki, another physically capable student. In the meantime, Classes A and D representatives were... Well, they were participating.

Because of this, Classes A and D were overtaken right at the start, but in this event, speed wasn't the real deciding factor. No, the real deciding factor was which item you drew. The students in the lead searched this way and that way, leaving the field to find their items.

The Class D guy went towards Kiyotaka and was asking something insistently, he even showed him his slip of paper. A moment later, Kiyotaka took off his shoe and gave it to the guy. His name was Ike but whatever.

While everyone else was frenetically searching for their items, Ike went directly towards the goal, Kiyotaka's shoe in hand. Thanks to this lucky draw, he got first place comfortably. He got back to his tent as he muttered something to himself, visibly satisfied.

Moments later, Sayo arrived with her item, Ibuki close behind her. They got second and third place, leaving Class A with the last place.

Soon afterward came the signal for the start of the second race. I quickly went to draw a lot, not having any trouble to arrive first at the box. I reached inside and grabbed a slip of paper. Taking it out, I unfolded it.

"The person you love."

"Heh~?"

I couldn't help but grin.

This should be fun.

Instantly, I stormed back to the place I had left Shinobu and just as she was about to ask me if I needed something, I grabbed her hand and dragged her to the goal.

When we arrived, I gave the slip of paper to the staff member that controlled the items.

"She's the one," I declared boldly.