V6: Chapter 14 - War

Misaka Mikoto POV

"This ends your final exams for this semester. I'm proud of your hard work. You did well," Sakagami-sensei said some comforting words before leaving the classroom.

We simply stayed there for a few moments in complete silence. Yabu and Morofuji hadn't even showed up for today's exams basically confirming their expulsion and the loss of two hundred class points. Not only that, but all of us knew that we had lost the special exam against Class B.

Hell, I wasn't able to finish a single exam. Yeah, I would get the best results of my class and probably nothing below 90. But besides some exceptions, I doubted any of my classmates had scored above 50.

Yesterday, after the exams Ryuuen and I spent all night watching my copy of the conversation between Himeno and Hoshinomiya-sensei but couldn't find anything different. Maybe the key was really the email, but I couldn't convince myself that that was the case. It was Karma after all.

And this morning before the exams started, I handed the copy to Hiyori since she had asked me for it although I couldn't see what she would do with it.

All things considered, this had just been a disaster. Maybe we underestimated Class B since we have been taking points from them since the island exam. But I was careful to approach the exam appropriately, so, that there was no way we underestimated them.

I created most of the questions since Magane didn't have any enthusiasm on the exam and handed them to Ryuuen, Hiyori and Kaneda during our meeting the day after Ryuuen's birthday. They were free to use the questions as they wanted; as long as it didn't compromise us, of course.

I also told Ryuuen that those questions were my gift for his birthday and let it at that; I had no reason to celebrate his birthday. From what Nishino told me, Ishizaki, Albert, Hiroya and some of the guys had taken Ryuuen to the bowling that was next to the movie theatre on Keyaki Mall.

We kept a strict surveillance in some key places and found that meeting between Himeno and Hoshinomiya-sensei and we had revised the video of that meeting again and again to make sure we understood it.

We didn't take any measure to prevent an expulsion and that had been a mistake. Up until now, we had been keeping ourselves to playing the game of the special exams, allowing a status quo as to not have any students expelled. But now two of my classmates had been expelled and it had to be Karma's doing. Yabu wasn't completely stupid, she wouldn't have cheated on the exam...

"Not a single one of you is going to say something?!" Hiroya shouted standing up from his chair, his tone full of anger. All eyes turned in his direction. "Two of our classmates were expelled and Class B completely crushed us!"

"Hiroya-shi, we cannot be sure of that—"

"Of course we can, Kaneda! You just have to look at our performances. Why don't we all try to predict our scores? Huh?! I'll start. I'm confident my scores are between 48 and 56. Now, who's next? Ishizaki—?"

"Kukuku. What's this about Hiroya?" Ryuuen questioned as he laughed.

"What's this about?! This is about you making us fall to Class D! You said you'd take us to Class A but—"

"Aren't we just a few points away from Class B?" Ryuuen asked.

"For now, but with all the points we're gonna lose we're going to fall next month."