Chapter 26

When I was three years old I was brought to Grammy Maia's house. She was the head of the Four Season's Coven.  Plus there was Aunty Vesna, who was Grammy's sister and Aunty Freya, who was Grammy's daughter. My name is Jean Rice. They adopted me into their coven because they could feel my power. They were eager to train me.

14-1/2 years later

"Aunty Vesna. I am tired of casting spells. Can't we just go into the woods and forage for the plants we need for what we are going to sell at the farmer's market next week. I know we were low on several items from last weeks sales."

Aunty Vesna replied, "when you can cast that spell five times I will let you go. Otherwise Maia will be annoyed you left. Be sure to take Freya with you. Some of them you have to pluck only during the moonlight hours. She can show you where they are."

"There isn't anything in our inventory that needs moonlight plucks."

"This is one of our special orders. Then Freya can teach you how to make them."

Sigh, "ok will get this spell to work." Then two hours later I can done it actually 10 times. Aunty Vesna claimed the first five did not have proper form."

I walked into the house and ate a sandwich and apple for lunch. Then went up and changed into my brown foraging dress. Then I added my dark brown hiking boots. I reached for my basket that sat by the window. I then went down to the kitchen and grabbed a canteen that I filled with water and two apples to snack on later. Then went to the garden shed and grabbed the pruning shears. I was set to go. I sat on the swing located on the front porch and waited for Freya. She came out about 10 minutes later dressed in same outfit as me. She looked at me and said, "you forgot something."

"I don't want to wear the hat."

"Then you won't be gathering with me today."

"Fine, I will wear the damn hat. You know I hate wearing the hat." Then I stomp up to my room to get it. I put it on and stomp downstairs. "I am wearing the blasted thing. Are you satisfied."

"We need to do a cleansing spell to wipe away all negativity before we gather

"We need to do a cleansing spell to wipe away all negativity before we gather." She then walked to the middle of the yard. She closed her eyes and turned her head toward the sun. I sighed and did it too.

Then together we said, "Mother Earth here our plea. We ask that you cleanse our hearts of anger and grant us peace that we have a successful gathering. Wind of the west bless us with gentle breeze. Wind of the east grant us with sight. Wind of the north grant us with the gift of smell. Wind of the south grant us with a warm wind."

I then pick up my basket of items and follow Freya toward the path that led into the woods. I knew along the way we would find many of our needed plants. Then it would take us by the lake where we would find more. Finally would take it into the mountains to get the last of the needed items for our regular orders. Then we would go after the items on Freya's list.