Chapter 2

When I came home after school I saw Courtney sitting in the back yard. I walked back to where she was. She looked surprised to see me, "Don't you work tonight?"

"I have two hours before I have to work today. I was going to do my homework. I just thought I would tell you that the meeting you did not go to at school was to let you know I was named class valedictorian plus I won a full 4 year scholarship to two different universities. Basically when I graduate I will be out of your hair."

I turn to walk inside and am surprised when I hear Courtney say, "congratulations. I am happy for you."

I reply, "thanks and then continue inside and go to my room." The first thing I did was boot up my computer and make a Pro and Con list though I knew what one I would say yes to even if it meant I would not escape.

" The first thing I did was boot up my computer and make a Pro and Con list though I knew what one I would say yes to even if it meant I would not escape

After typing my list I then got to work typing up my book report and then worked on my trigonometry. Then I saw my field trip permission slip. I went down stairs to get it signed.

I heard Chuck say, "He will be upset when he here's she is going out of town for those scholarships. We will have to tell him and see what he wants us to do."

Courtney replies, "She is smart. I am happy to hear she is doing good. Can we just not tell him. Then when it's announced at her graduation act surprise? He will be there to manipulate her to move into his place."

Chuck said, "I don't know let me think about it." I hear a chair scrape as though scouting back. I quickly go up 3 or 4 steps and turn around. Calling out as I come down stairs, "Courtney?"

"Yes? I am still outside."

I walk to the door. I see Chuck standing on the edge of the porch. "I need this school field trip form sign."

Chuck turns around and gives me a hateful look, "why should we let you go?"

"If you don't sign it then I will  just contact Mrs Cassidy. Besides that it is for my science lab. It would mean I would leave Friday and not return until Sunday. You would not have to see me for those days."

He snatches the paper and pen from my hand and signs it. Then tosses it back. I grab it. "I have to get ready for work now." Then turn and run back upstairs.

As I get ready I wonder who is it. I better make plans to start moving my stuff into the studio. I will be out of here before graduation. Maybe Angela is right. He is not trustworthy. It sounds like he wants to give me to someone. Maybe he is into trafficking. But it would be my word against there's. I will just have to plan my escape. Maybe I should talk to Giovanni. He is good with searching.

I then walk into work and start my shift. While I look for a time I can talk with Giovanni who is in the back helping his dad make pizzas.