Chapter 11

We were unsure what to make of the blessing of the Moon Goddess, but we rejoiced, Pa called out to all. Thank you all. We are now going to head to the Pizzeria and meet the human judge. He is going to officially add Joan as our daughter also in the human world. Once that is done we will return. We will have a big celebration and dance that we want to thank you all for preparing. We will see you back here soon."

We then head out. I walk over and ask my grandparents, brothers, uncles, their families, "will you come to my human adoption too? I would be honored to have you there?"

They all said yes and followed us to the pizzeria. I go upstairs to my apartment with all the ladies and we all get ready. They refuse to let me dress myself. Grandma Zurica creates a floral crown with her fairy magic and places it on my head. Grandma Elena opens up her purse. She pulled out a necklace and earring set. She lays it down in front of me, "this jewelry was given to my great grandmother on her wedding day from her parents. It had been given to my grandma. Then to my mom. My mother gave it to me. I never had any daughters. I had your father and uncle. I would be honored if you would accept this."

My eyes teared up and I shook my head yes and she attached it around my neck and Angela put the matching earrings on.

Ma said, "before we go downstairs, I have something I would like for you all to see.  She slid the shawl off she had been wearing. She turned around and in the middle of her back she had a tattoo added.  It was a heart shaped lock with three keys and each key said one of her children's names: Giovanni, Joan and Angela. (Picture below gives you an idea of what I used.)

Once again I teared up

Once again I teared up. Angela said, "wipe them off before you ruin the makeup."

Just then there was a knock and Luna Cassidy said, "the judge just arrived. Time to come downstairs."

We all headed toward my door and went downstairs. Mrs Cassidy walked over to the judge, "hello, I don't know if you remember me Judge O'Dell. My name is Allison Cassidy. I have been Joan Reese's caseworker. She recently aged out of the system and has officially announced her wishes to be adopted by the Martinez family."

Judge O'dell asked, "do we have any non-family here to be your witness and it cannot be your caseworker?"

Mrs. Cassidy replies, "I was not informed on my list that we needed a non family member."

He starts to walk toward the door, "we'll contact me when you have everything in order."

Alpha Hartman spoke up, "wait sir, my name is Dalton Hartman and this my wife, Allison. We are not blood relations. We are friends of the family. We can sign as witnesses."

"Oh, ok. Do you have your notary here?"

Grayson family walked in from upstairs. Mrs. Grayson said, "I am sorry I am late. Sir, I am a notary. I can notarize the forms for them."

He pulls the papers out of his briefcase and lays them on the table. "Ok Mr. and Mrs. Martinez please step forward. Are you ready to adopt the young lady in question?"

"Yes, my wife and I have wanted to adopted Joan since we found her in foster care and became best friends with my daughter."

"I agree with my husband. We are more than ready."

"Then please sign the forms right here and here." Judge O'dell points to a couple lines. They signed where he pointed. "Now will Joan Reese please come forward."

Just then a man I did not know came in, "I object to this adoption."

Mr Martinez bellowed, "who are you and what gives you the right to step into my place without permission."

Mrs Cassidy spoke up in an angry voice, "Mr. Riddles is the caseworker whom tried to take over my case. You were informed you could not take over since she turned 18."

"Well I have new information that makes her not eligible for adoption."

"What is that information?"

"If you had done your job you would know she has family and her family been searching for her. This makes her not eligible for adoption."

Judge O'Dell spoke up, "let me see your report."

Mrs Cassidy spoke up, "I know about her family. She has two sets of grandparents and an uncle. They are here to give their support for the adoption."

Mr. Riddles then did a fake smile, "you have them here? I was told they objected to the adoption."

My Uncle Clinton growled, "when we first heard she was alive we did object, but after we met the Martinez family we no longer objected. Since I never seen you before or talked to you I am angry that you try to speak on my behalf. I want you to get out of my sight. Don't you ever try to speak on my or her grandparents behalf again. We will come after you."

Judge O'Dell gave a dirty look to everyone, "ok we need to settle down. Ok Joan just sign here."' He pointed to a place and then I signed. He then pointed to my Uncle, "I need you to sign here authorization of the adoption. " my uncle picked up a pin and signed. " now I need the witness step up and sign." They signed. The judge then signed the paper and handed it to the notary and she stamped and signed. "Let me introduce the newest member to the Martinez family, Joan Rice Martinez."

He then packed up his briefcase and left. He walked out and Mr Riddles whispered, "you know he is going to be angry we failed."

Alpha Cassidy looked at the Graysons, "follow them and keep someone observing them and find out who wants her." They left and followed them. "Now let's go  back to pack and celebrate. Then tomorrow at 11:00am meet upstairs and let's figure things out."