Chapter 1

(Giggle giggle giggle) Three girls who look about four or five are running in the beach. They are splashing in the water laughing. A woman calls out, "girls come on. It's getting late." Reluctantly they head back to their mommy and help pack up from their day at the beach. They each grab their bags and carry to the car. This man, I would guess is their Daddy, is singing some silly song as he lifts of the cooler to carry back to the car. The girls are following behind him singing along.   While mom grabs and carries some of the other items left behind. They get to the car and daddy loads everything into the back while mommy takes the girls to the restroom. Then brings back to the car and hooks us all into car seats. Then we take off toward home.  Next thing I see the car rolling and a girl screaming.

I jerk awake and am sitting up. I reach over and turn on the light. I think to myself, "I hate waking up like that. Why does that dream haunt me. Why can I never clearly see the girls or parent's faces. In my heart I know that is my family that I lost at age three." I then reach over and grab a drink of water. I look at the clock and see it's almost 4:00am. I go ahead and get up. I check the weather and get dressed for my paper route. I quietly get dressed for my paper route. I do not want to wake up my foster parents, Chuck and Courtney. I then head over to where I pick up my papers for my paper route. I get there and pull out my bike. I gather my papers and get on my bike. I spent the next one and half hours delivering them all. When I get back my boss is there handing out our money. I earned $152 this week. Then head back and drop off my bike. I jog home. I let myself in and go up stairs to take a shower. I hide my money in my secret spot. I came down dressed in the school uniform.  Which was khaki pants and a red polo shirt with black tennis shoes.

I started the coffee for Chuck and Courtney and grabbed my backpack. Then headed to school. When I got to school I grabbed breakfast. I had a breakfast burrito and chocolate milk. Then headed to my locker. Just as I got to my locker I had someone jumped on my back. I caught myself and called out, "Angela will that ever get old?" She is my best friend. Her parents gave me a job at their pizzeria.

"Nope." She says when laughing. "I tried to call you but Vomit would not call you to the phone last night."

I laugh, "you know one day you will call him that to his face and he will get mad."

"I don't care. They just keep you for money and aren't very nice."

"Well I just have to wait until the end of the school year and after graduation I am free of them. They aren't bad to me. They just ignore me unless someone's there. I will get a room and be at the university in the fall."

"Mom and Dad says they still plan to close the restaurant this summer and only open it Friday-Sunday. We will be at the beach house the rest of the time. They will help you move your stuff into the apartments above the pizzeria. Then we can enjoy the summer together. They said the university you could go to is only an hour away. That you can live there and just pay the utilities for it. Based on your schedule even still work part time there. Also decide if you want to give up your paper route."

"That is an idea, but I wanted to leave this place behind. I know the university is just an hour away, but the bus would take almost 2 hours each way."

"Mom and Dad are getting me a car for graduation since I am going there too We could go together."

"Let me think about it." The bell rings, "See you after homeroom. "I then open up my locker and take what I need just for first and second period. Then walk to homeroom.

My homeroom teacher takes attendance and then says, "Joan, I have a pass for you. Mrs. Presner wants to see you before first period. The pass says she will be in the principal office. Then some of the classmates I heard say, "ewww, she going to the principal." I just laugh and grab my stuff and pass. Then head there.

I walk into the office and stand there waiting my turn. There are a couple people in front of me. I look at the various items on the bulletin board until my name is called. I then walk into Principal Downey's office. I see Mrs Presner there and they both are smiling at me. Principal Downey stands up and says, "have a seat Joan. We got some great news to share with you. Your foster parents could not make it, so we are wait for your caseworker to arrive."

"Mrs. Cassidy?"

"Yes. When it comes to good news is there someone else we should of invited?"

"I would say my BFF, Angela Martinez and her parents."

Principal Downey walks to the door and opens it. "Mrs Steele please call Angela Martinez and her parents. Have them come to the office. We are moving to the conference room. Please escort them and Mrs. Cassidy there when they arrive."

Mrs Steele replied, "ok. Oh and Mrs. Cassidy called and said she would be here about 9:00am. She is running about 30 minutes behind."

"Then see if the Martinez family can be here about 9:00am too." He then turned toward Mrs. Presner and I and said, "let's move to the conference room."

We sat there making small talk and no matter
Mrs. Presner said, "I know you're all wondering why we called you here this morning. Yesterday, I got a confirmation from both universities you have been offered scholarship from. Just so you know you have until March 31 to decide which place you will choose.

Joan, as you know the next town over has a university, Braxton University and they have offered you a four year fully paid scholarship. In the mail yesterday they sent a letter and their Alumni has offered a scholarship of  $5,000 a year toward book fees.  Plus, will give you a cafeteria card that will include breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Then also got a letter from Wesson University who also offered you a four year scholarship. They said that one of their staff has offered a room for you to stay in free of charge. All holidays over 1 week and summer time would have to stay at hotel or find some place to live. They could get you a job at the university to help pay your book fees and cover food cost."

Mr Martinez laughs and engulfs Joan into a huge hug. He then says, "you know we consider you like another daughter. We have a studio apartment above the pizzeria that we will give you to stay in. You and my Angela can commute together to university."

Mrs. Cassidy, "this sounds wonderful. Many who age out of foster care have no place to go. Sounds like you have two places to go come the fall. I will help you find a place during the summer after graduation."

Mrs. Martinez gives a dirty look, "when she ages out she stays with us. That is final. She is as my husband said, another daughter."

Angela gives me a look that says see told you. She then hugs me and says, "we will have to go celebrate your great offers. I know which one I would like you to do, but I will work to sway you. I will just say make a pro and con list to both places."

Principal  Downey clears his throat to get everyone's attention. "I also have something to share. Joan, with all your hard work you also will be class valedictorian. Congratulations."

I looked surprised. Then once again am engulfed in hugs. Afterwards Angela and I are dismissed and we head to catch the last 10 minutes of first period.