Chapter 9

The next day I started to get up when Nurse Niles walked in, "Mr. Martinez was right. He said you would try to sneak out about 4am to do your paper route. He said to tell you Gio doing it today. Then he talked to your boss and you got two weeks off by doctors orders. Angela brought your computer and school books. You will some time in bed or at your new apartment. You will do online classes."

"What's wrong with me if I need bed rest and cannot work?"

"It is called the TWINNING SYNDROME. This means at least one of your sisters are alive. She had something bad happen toward her. She got horrible pain from it. You felt that pain. It caused you to clasp. Right now we have no way of knowing when it will happen."

"Why do I feel it now?"

"You came of age. Plus the hospital can block it which is why you are here and not with the Martinez family. Gio said you mentioned at the circle you could feel the pull. When at the lake you looked toward the hills and feel the pull and pain she felt. Right now Dr Neil is researching Twinning Syndrome since he only read about it when in med school, and never dealt with it before."

"You guys are unbelievable. I have been raised upon a lie. Then told to sit back and do nothing. I need to go find my sister and rescue her."

"Oh something is being done. You will be brought into it once we can make sure you won't collapse again. You scared many people with that scream and collapsing yesterday."

"I am well enough to go to school online but not in person? I am well enough to go to school." While thinking to myself I would sneak off to go look for her.

"Well if you start to do it here we can flip a switch and turn off the feed. Plus Angela whom is in all but one class has a switch and can flip it off if it happens again. My mate is 99% sure you cannot feel the syndrome in this building, but not 100%. We are being cautious. Why don't you sleep a little bit more and I will wake you an hour before school." Then she walks out after taking my vitals.

I was surprised when Ma walked through the door later carrying some breakfast. She said, "Rise and shine beautiful. Go take a shower and get ready for school. Since it's online and your still in the hospital you don't have to wear a uniform. I brought you some shorts and T-shirt, so no more hospital gown."

Once I was showered and dressed I walked back to the bed. "Ma, I want to go home with you. I don't want to stay here."

Just then Dr. Neil walked in, if all your lab work comes back ok today AND I hear back from Doctor Steinbecker that is ok for you to be released safely."

"Who is Dr Steinbecker?"

"When researching he is the specialist in this field of twinning syndrome. Though I do wonder if it should be called triple syndrome."

Ma then said, "five minutes until school starts. Sign into your computer and get ready to start class." She then sits down in a chair and pulls a book out of her bag. I sigh because I know with her sitting her I could not sneak out. I open up my computer and enter my first class.

When school is over for the day I have Nurse Amy come in, "Doctor Neil was called away by the Alpha. He said to have you put on this bracelet." She hands me a bracelet. "He said to tell you if you agree to not remove it then you can head home, but you still need someone to watch you for a few days."

I shout, "I agree." I then stand up and start throwing my books and laptop into my backpack. The nurse laughs at my excitement.

I hear Ma say, "we will have someone stay with her at her apartment or she can sleep in her bed that is with Angela. She won't be left alone until Dr Neil says it's safe. But, before we go explain the bracelet to us."

Nurse Amy replies, "I just know it is coated with a nickel plating and fairy dust. I am not sure what else, and he did not tell me anything else before he ran out. He said he would see you later at the Martinez."  She then hands me the paperwork. "Here are your release papers. Be glad he signed it before he was called away." She then turns and walks out.

I check the room and make sure nothing is left behind. We then walk outside to Ma's car and head toward their home. We get there and there are about 50 people busy painting the business red with white trim. Then laying a new tar roof. Placing decorative bars over the window. I glance toward their house and it's being painted a little bit darker cream than it had been with white trim. I look on at everyone bustling about and Pa walks over. He kisses his mate and then hugs and kisses me. He a loud voice he says, "Ma, you finally got your outside remodel." Then in a quieter voice so all who is watching them don't hear he says, "Doc said if we coat the outside of the building in nickel and fairy dust it will block the twinning pain. I do that for my new daughter."

I had tears running down my face and jump into his arms to hug him again. Ma says, "tomorrow we are having the adoption ceremony both at the circle and then here. Luna was able to arrange it. Your birthday party we were having is now your adoption party too."

She then took me upstairs and made me lay down in my new bed and despite the noise I fell asleep.