133. Billie Joe Armstrong

Dear Future Billie,

The way that I see it is, life is like a book and I suppose that this is the first chapter because my life is finally beginning after years of feeling like I was stuck and going nowhere with my life. Honestly, it's no that I hated my job at the diner, but I felt trapped; I couldn't imagine the rest of my life there.

Before you ask, No, I'm not going to be starting this shit with that 'dear diary' nonsense like I'm some fourteen-year-old who hides their diary under their pillow because they do not want their parents to know heir deepest, darkest secrets, which let's be honest, is probably just watching an X-rated movie when their parents weren't at home. For fuck's sake, I am a grown-ass man who's about to leave everything he knows behind to embark on a journey with two of his best friends and their instruments. That's right, the boys and I are leaving this shitty town behind to travel the world and show people how badass we are what we do.

Naturally, Mom cried. She thinks she's losing three children, not just one. After all, Mike and Tre have become like sons to her. I am going to miss her, but I only want to make her proud of me after everything she's done for me. She's the only thing about this godforsaken town that I am actually going to miss; everything else I don't give a fuck about. Naturally, I'd miss Mike and Tre but they're coming with me. I feel bad that I'm leaving mom on her own, but she's reassured me that she's going to be fine. Since dad passed away, she's always said that she's fine on her own but I know that she really wants company; she's just stubborn and wants to prove that she can do things on her own.

Fuck, I'm getting sidetracked. Anyway, after much debate with myself and ripping out several pages already, I have decided to start each entry with 'Dear Future Billie' because when I'm old, I want to be able to look back on this and remember it in as much detail as possible. I want to be able to tell my future children about my adventures. Hell, I could even make it a book and I'm almost certain it would be a fucking number one bestseller.

It's so crazy to think that this whole band started when Mike and I were just snotty-nosed little kids with a lot of energy, but now we're shitty adults with a lot to prove. And Tre, well, what can I say about Tre? He exactly the same, but he's decided to start running around screaming because he's worried that we're going to miss the plane, so I'd better go. This tour is going to be epic!

****

"Will you please calm down?" Mike asked, placing his hand on Tre's shoulder in an attempt to stop him from running around like a madman. "You're making me feel dizzy." Mike's other hand was placed on his stomach, seriously feeling sick watching Tre run about the way he was.

"Sorry," Tre replied as he continued to jump up and down on the spot. Mike sighed, knowing that this was probably the calmest that he was ever going to be. "You know how I feel about missing the plane," Tre admitted as he turned around, hearing Billie's footsteps as he walked into the room with his suitcase trailing behind him. "Are we ready to go?" Billie asked, looking at Mike and Tre who had clearly been waiting for him.

"We are, now that you've finished pouring your heart out and crying over the boy that doesn't love you back, despite you making him paper flowers." Tre retorted, talking about Billie writing in his journal. Billie shrugged, moving the backpack that was on his shoulder. Tre talking about his journal had made himself self-conscious that he hadn't put it in his bag. He felt a feeling of relief as he remembered that he did. "I'm not a fourteen-year-old girl." Billie reminded him, letting out a laugh as he looked at Tre. Tre shot Billie a serious look. "Billie, I know I'm irresistible, so if you want to kiss me to take your mind off this other boy that broke your heart, all you have to do is ask. I'm very open-minded." Tre leant in to kiss Billie but was quickly turned away by Mike.

"Okay!" Mike said, pushing through. "We should probably get going. Tre, leave Billie alone." Mike said, grabbing hold of Tre who was winking at Billie. Eventually, they all broke out in fits of laughter as they placed their belongings into the old library bus they used as a tour bus. "You're a fucking idiot, Tre."

"I know that already my friend." He replied proudly as he climbed into the backseat and sat next to Mike. Billie himself climbed into the driver's seat and switched on the ignition. He looked into the back at Tre and Mike like they were his children. "Are your seatbelts on?" He asked as Tre hit Mike for not getting his on quick enough.

"Tre! Don't hit your brother." Billie smiled. Not that he was planning on having children anytime soon, but he believed that he would make a good father when the time came for him to take on that role. Right now though, his role was in the band.

"So fucking weird," Mike laughed, placing his head in his hands. No-one really said anything as they drove down the dark empty streets of Oakland. "Take one last look guys," Billie said, as Tre and Mike each looked out of the window. "We'll be leaving this crappy town soon enough."

****

Much to Tre's delight, they had made it in time for the plane that their manager had organised for them. "Thank God," Tre said. "I feel calm now."

"How can you feel calm?" Mike asked, intrigued. "You've just downed a can of Coke. There's no way that you're calm."

"I never calm," Tre stated. Billie looked over at Tre.

"I'm glad you finally noticed." Tre went to say something but caught the eye of a cute flight attendant so went to follow her. Mike shook his head, laughing as Billie looked out of the window. In the distance, he could see the city lights of Oakland but was filled with tremendous joy at the thought of being able to explore the world.

He could just see it; he, Mike and Tre all on stage together as the crowd screamed their names. They would look at each other with the same wide smile; the same expression. All of them thinking the same thing: "This is amazing. How did the three of us end up here? I never want this to end. This is what I was born to do. I'm glad that I'm up here with my best friends." Billie's face lit up at the thought. Every day, they would be in a new place, with new people and new experiences. The three of them were finally going to be able to live their lives without anyone telling them what the fuck they should do or who they should be. They were their own people now and they were going to make the most of it.

"What are you thinking so hard about?" Billie heard Mike say, forcing Billie out of his daydream. "You were in your own little world there. Is everything okay?" As Billie went to speak, Tre sat back down. "I was just thinking about how lucky we are to be doing this together."

Mike and Tre didn't say anything, just nodded and smiled in agreement. "I wouldn't want to be here with anyone else," Billie admitted as below them, the plane started to rumble and take off. The three of them looked in wonder as they ascended into the air, flying over the city of Oakland with everyone below oblivious to what was about to happen to them. "This tour is going to be awesome as fuck." Billie smiled as he sat back in his chair and pulled out a notebook, suddenly feeling a spark of creativity as their plane cascaded over the city.