21

TW // Sensitive Content

P. S. still want to put trigger warning since this chapter may still be a sensitive topic for some.
--

It took Mina a lot of courage to enter the emergency room where Maddie's body is. Every step she took, it feels like she's dragging heavy shackles even though Chaeyoung has been always by her side and supporting her. Mina doesn't even know that entering a room could be this difficult.

It still felt surreal, in Mina's heart she knows that Maddie could still be somewhat alive and she'll hear her beautiful voice once again. But the moment she saw her lifeless body on the bed, and the once warm hands who's always holding her are now nothing but cold hands, it was the moment she was hit by the painful reality.

My daughter is gone. Maddie is really gone.

Jihyo had to take her kids and Taeyeon back home to rest and calm down. Everyone was so shocked. So it was just Mina and Chaeyoung that was left at the hospital.

"Baby..." Mina whispered in her now hoarse voice while still holding on to Maddie's hand. Chaeyoung hugging her from the back, wiping her own tears. "Why did you leave mommy like this? Baby... wake up..."

Mina cried hard once again, lowering her head onto the bed. It just felt like all her energy were drained. A part of her heart was just have been taken away.

"Mina.. love please.." Chaeyoung begged at her.

Mina turned her head to Chaeyoung, her eyes blurry with tears. "Chaeng, what do we do now? Our baby.. she's gone.. this is my fault"

"No, Mina.. don't blame yourself please I'm sorry I didn't got home sooner"

Mina glanced at her watch and noticed that it was already past twelve midnight. She tried so hard to stand and sat on the bed. She carried half of Maddie's body on her lap and hugged her.

"Happy... birthday... to... you..." she sang between sobs while slowly rocking her daughters body. "Happy... b-birthday.. to you..."

Chaeyoung couldn't take looking at the sight of her wife breaking down so much, and her daughter's lifeless body like that. She had to turn around and let out all those tears she'd been holding back because she doesn't want Mina to see her weak as she needs to be strong for the both of them now.

"Happy birthday... our M-maddie.. happy birthday to... you.." a happy birthday song has never been this heartbreaking for Chaeyoung.

Mina and Chaeyoung never left Maddie's body until they can take her with them at Taeyeon's house. It's where the three days wake will be held. The whole house were illuminated brightly but that light never gave even a single comfort for their dark lives right now.

Mina never leaves the coffin. She's just always standing there and watching Maddie who looks like she's just sleeping. They let her wore the princess dress that she's supposed to be wearing on her birthday party.

"Hey.. let's eat, you haven't been eating anything since this morning" Chaeyoung said as she walked beside Mina and wrapped her around Mina's shoulder.

"I'm not hungry" Mina shook her head. "Look.. the necklace looks so pretty on her"

Chaeyoung shifted her eyes from Mina to her daughter and saw the necklace that she once gave to Mina. "Yes, she's really pretty. I'm glad that you still chose to gave it to her, baby"

"Mina!" they both turn around and saw Nayeon together with her wife, Jeongyeon, who just arrives. Nayeon quickly hugged Mina while shedding tear. "I'm so sorry, Minari.."