I AM A KILLER : CHAPTER 23 ♦ OUTWARD BOUND TRAINING

A heavy atmosphere pervaded the meeting room. The highest person-in-charge of the military base sat at the front, his facial muscles taut. A hand slammed down on the desk, followed by a raged berate: "Such a major event occurred and the bunch of you idiots are only reporting it to me now?!"

The two officers sitting at his side looked at each other, and both urged: "Company Commander, take care of your anger for your health."

"Why don't you look at the current situation?! How can I not get angry?! Address clearly exactly what happened!"

Xiao Jiang and Xiao Song were the only two people standing in the meeting room. Xiao Jiang stepped forward, saying: "Reporting company commander, the both of us were in charge of monitoring the warehouse. When they realised someone had intruded the guns and ammunition room, we went to take her down, but that person's very trained, we did not manage to catch her, and she escaped."

"This is absolutely disgraceful! Why didn't you report it immediately? How did I usually teach you people?! If that person had used the guns in the storeroom, you'll have lost your little life!" One of the soldiers nearest to them stood up to reproach them.

Xiao Song also stepped forward, saying: "We were worried that we would inadvertently alert the enemy firstly, and secondly, we believed it was urgent, so by the time we reported it, the thief would have long escaped. Also, most importantly of all, we found out that the person did not know how to use the gun, so we were not worried about having our lives threatened."

"Hold on, you said that the person did not know how to use the gun?"

"Yes, we brought the video clip, everything that had happened is recorded."

The company commander said lowly: "Then quickly now, play it for us."

After they switched on the projection, the clip started playing. The surveillance cameras were placed in two locations, so the clip that was playing from both angles very ingeniously captured the entire storeroom in its lens. Because the clip was recorded with a high-end infrared camera, it was able to clearly record the situation in the dark storeroom even during night-time.

The beginning was fast-forwarded until the storeroom windows were pulled open by someone before the clip was slowed down to its normal speed. They saw a dark-clothed and masked person jumping into the storeroom, walking towards where the guns were placed and grabbed one to fondle it. Then the person opened the box that was used to place bullets, took a few and placed it in the person's clothes, after which the gun was raised in search for an opening. In the end, the person actually pushed the bullet in through the muzzle. Everyone seated in the room looked at the person speechlessly as the masked person tried to "insert the bullet" successfully without even opening the safety.

After the masked person replaced the gun back, Xiao Jiang and Xiao Song appeared. What followed was a fighting scene between them. One of them was toppled over, the other was knocked out, and with that, they watched the masked person escape.

The clip ended, and the meeting room lapsed into silence. The company commander said: "Our garrison is too poorly guarded, to only discover an intrusion after the person had slipped into the storeroom. If it were not for the hidden surveillance cameras, that person could probably have strolled an entire round and we would still not know anything!"

No one talked. Everyone was reflecting.

"Company Commander, what person did you think that was?" After a while, an officer voiced his suspicion.

"What person did everyone think that was?" The company commander asked in return instead of replying.

Xiao Jiang said: "Reporting, according to our analysis, that person completely lacked knowledge of guns, and was more of curious about it. It is very probable for that person to be a student that is here for the military training this time. According to the length of the hair and the physique, our first determination is that that person is a 1.6-metre tall female."