Chapter 28: Moving On Up!

"It's hot as hell here in Texas girl!" Jazlynn says dramatically. I roll my eyes and laugh because she's always complaining about something. Jace wraps his arm around her which makes her shut her countless whining up. We get inside our Uber and I noticed how quiet Chris has been so I wait until we are at my apartment to talk to him about it. While in the car I read a blog about the drama that happened at the party and honestly I'm not surprised about it. Scrolling down more I gasp sharply which makes everyone jump. " Oh shit! Troy was stabbed to death in jail last night..." I mentioned. We all sat quietly for a moment until Jace decided to speak. "Damn... that's what happens when you think rape is fun and games". 

   For the rest of the drive, we didn't speak because the news pretty much put a damper on us all. We pulled up to "The W Hotel" and the view of it lightens us up. " You guys go get your rooms and settle in. Don't forget to pick up the rental and we'll be at the apartment boxing everything left" I said while they leave the car and rush inside the hotel together. Driving to our old apartment building, we don't speak and I just want to wonder if he's okay. 

"A-are you-" I stammered.

 He nods and shows a fake smile and I just know he's lying but I let it go and look out my side of the window since we are coming close to the apartment. 

  Making it to the apartment, I have a brief flashback of my first day moving in and meeting Christopher. I was carrying a heavy fragile box and he just so happened to be going downstairs to the building's gym. He rushed to my aid and was a complete gentleman. He helped me with a few boxes and I managed to accompany him to the gym since he was a friendly and helpful neighbor. 

I actually will miss this apartment, my bedroom which is extremely big, the view, and I will miss my Starbucks friends. "You reminiscing?" he asks. I nod and look out to see the beautiful view and soak up the moment. 

  *RING RING*

   Christopher signals that he's getting a call and answers. In the meantime, I check my phone to see Jazlynn texting me about them coming to the apartment in an hour because they have things to handle, and well you know what that means. Christopher hangs up the phone and looks a little concerned so I ask him what's going on. "My sister is back in rehab and Trixie has no other family here." Trixie is his 15-year-old niece who is an extremely bright girl with a ruff family history. When she was younger, her mom was heavy into alcohol and once Trix got older her addiction to alcohol transformed to hardcore drugs. Chris takes care of her from time and time after his mother died because he doesn't want that life for her and I agree. "So what do you want to do?" I asked. 

"I need to take her with me... I'm the only family she has left. She may not be happy about leaving but I'd rather take the responsibility". I agree, and he calls Trixie and tells her to pack her things. We begin to pack my things and I can see his worry for Trixie fades a little bit but I know she is on his mind heavy. " I texted Jace and told him to pick up Trix on the way," I said softly and a sigh of relief falls from his lips. He thanks me and I show a little smile to him. 

"Were you okay in the car earlier?" said softly.

  "I was just thinking about everything that happened at your brother's party. I feel guilty that's all..." he says softly.

  I don't want him to feel guilty for anything, he was invited and they both are just mad that another man, even if he is my friend, is in my life. "Don't be. They just have issues that I have no energy to try and solve anymore. I mentioned meeting you while I was here and my father was pissed which I still don't understand but now I don't care to understand. You helped me with so much that I don't want to throw it all away because people demand me to". He smiles and we exchange a long hug together. After an hour of packing and waiting for them to come, Chris finds a bottle of wine he brought to my house before and opens it.