Chapter 18: Shots Fired

An empty feeling fills my body and I completely become numb. Zane tries to shake me but I just can't take it, I'm becoming overwhelmed by so much it's eating me up inside. Before I know it Zane is making his way to the hospital to see Jazlynn and I still have yet to make a sound. Why the hell is this happening?!

   As soon as we make it to the hospital, paparazzi swarms the front and I snap back from all the flashes. " Baby, I know this is a lot but we are going to get some answers, okay, I promise ". Zane grabs my neck and makes me look him in his eyes. I instantly try to get it together before we rush inside. As we hop out of the car, paparazzi bombard me with questions and I suddenly get flustered to even talk. Zane rushes to my side and pushes everyone out of our way so we can be inside. Once we walk in all eyes are on us, from Mrs. Thomas to Karen and her family and shockingly, I see Mrs. Young, that's random. I look at Moira and shoot her a little smile but she rolls her eyes and stands next to her mother. Why is Moira acting like this as if I have done her wrong? She doesn't even understand and clearly she never will. Both Zane and I walk to the reception desk and ask where Jazlynn's room is located but her mother doesn't allow the receptionist to give us an answer. " You will not see my child, do you understand me?! YOU ARE THE CAUSE OF THIS YOU LITTLE BITCH!" she says. I understand her pain and hurt... but you will never disrespect me. "You watch your fucking mouth when you're talking to her" Zane yells. I push him to the side and let her have everything I am feeling. "Bitch? While you sit here and try to attack a minor, think to yourself if I didn't send my daughter to a fucking psychiatric facility when she asked for my help, then maybe she wouldn't be in this predicament..." I reply. She wants me to feel her guilt but I would never. " I WAS THERE FOR JAZLYNN WHEN I SURE AS HELL DIDN'T HAVE TO! SO DONT YOU DARE COME AT ME WITH THE BULLSHIT!". Anger is all I see in her eyes, but you are looking at the wrong person right now. "Come on, she doesn't know shit about being a friend" Karen says while grabbing Mrs.Thomas. Is she serious?! This old bitch doesn't even know shit about being a mother. I don't have time to even care what these grown women have to say about me, I need to get to Jazlynn. 

     I call my mom to see if she can sneak Zane and me into the back to see Jazlynn, and thank god she pulls through! I was tired of breathing the same air as those miserable beings in the waiting room so we made our way to the side of the hospital where she can get us into the door near her office. " Hey you guys what's going on? " she asks as she opens the door for us. Zane looks at me to answer but my brain just isn't agreeing with me at the moment. " Jazlynn was shot multiple times and Karmaa just talked to her at the school today so we want to check on her" he says. Mom looks confused about me even talking to her but Zane explains everything briefly to her as far as the messages both Jazlynn and I have been getting for months now. " I'll look her up in the system but you need to see her when no one else is around. You don't know who could be the person to do this" she says with concern. As she looks Jazlynns room number up she lets us know that she is out of surgery. " She's been out for a while so I think you may want to see her and hurry before her family comes in ". Zane immediately runs out of the office while holding my hand. We run none stop until we reach her room and hurry inside to see her.

     Zane stands by the door while I walk to her bedside. She's asleep and I feel so bad that this even happened to her. No sooner than me just watching her, she opens her eyes and I can tell she is scared. " Jaz-Jazlynn? I'm so sorry this has happened to you " I cry while holding her hand. She squeezes my hand a little and cries softly. Her words are staggered but I try to make out the words. " Kar-Ka-Karmaa? It hurts. Ple-Please " she cries. I feel completely helpless and wish I could take the pain away. "We-we were right, Jace may be alive. They aren't finished Kar-" she says. I was ready to know who is behind this and what she means about him being alive until Zane calls my name. "Karmaa, we gotta go, now!" he explains. I touch her hand and quickly leave the room before her family turns the corner to reach her door. This is ridiculous! It's more than one person that is plotting both of our demises and not to add but there is a possibility that Jace is alive, I feel sick to my stomach. 

     After sitting in the car with Zane for a while, I instantly remember prom and graduation coming up and all of the stress completely floods from my body. All of this has completely taken over my life for the past few months and I'm tired. All I want to think about is the future I am ready to build with Zane. "Karmaa I really think you should stay away from public places, We still don't know who the fuck this is and why. If this is connected to Jace then we really need to be careful. I know you'll be pissed, but please just listen to me." he says. I can't help but cut him off because I don't agree with him. " Zane? " I say timidly. He responds with a little concern but I crack a smile so he won't be scared by my next words. "I don't want to treat the remainder of my senior year like I am under witness protection, I'm sorry. This will not take me away from everything I want." I reply. Once the words come out of my mouth, Zane is pissed but I don't care. " Are you not understanding what's going on right now? Jazlynn could have died by someone who wants to do the same to you and you mean to tell me you want to jeopardize your life for a fucking prom? " he yells. We argue and argue and at this point, we are both stubborn which means nothing is being settled. Zane isn't understanding where I am coming from at all! " THIS IS SENIOR PROM! I AM NEVER GOING TO GET THIS OPPORTUNITY AGAIN ZANE! " I yell at the top of my lungs. Zane parks the car behind the hotel and continues the conversation. "FOR YOU TO QUESTION ME WHEN I'M TRYING TO SAVE YOU IS CRAZY TO ME!" he yells. " I DON'T NEED SAVING! " I yell in return but the car draws silent as I notice Zane's body language changes. He nods his head sarcastically and walks out of the car. Guilt creeps up on me as I realize my words and I call his name but he continues to walk. Why did I say that?! I feel so stupid, he only wants to protect me, and yet I push him away... classic fucking Karmaa.